Easy Dorm Room Workouts

Winter is right around the corner and for many of us that means a lot more time inside, away from the cold and snow. It’s when the extra weight from the holidays seems to pile up, but if you don’t want that to happen here are some tips to knock off the extra pounds.

Dorm rooms may not have a lot of space, so turning your room into a mini-gym may seem like a hassle but there are simple workouts you can do to stay in shape without having to leave your room.

Most dorms have more than a first floor so one of the easiest ways to get cardio in without having to leave your dorm is to run the stairs. Find a stairwell that isn’t used as often as the main one, that way you won't be running into people. You can do a lot of different variations to switch up what part of your legs you are working like, skipping a step or turning sideways and stepping up by crossing your legs. But, if you aren’t into cardio there are other exercises you could do with the use of your room.

To get an ab workout in there are so many options. Of course, crunches and sit-ups are always a great choice but while you’re in your dorm room you can get creative.

If you have small towels that you don’t mind getting a little dirty use it for an ab workout. Put a towel under each foot and get in a push-up position. Then, bring a knee towards your chest by keeping your foot on the towel and sliding it across the floor and bring it back to return to push-up position, then do it with your other foot. It is similar to mountain climbers but adds a fun twist.

An easy workout to do while you're standing in front of the mirror, doing your hair, is calf raises. Simply put your weight on the balls of your feet and rise to your tippy-toes and come back down and repeat. You could also do a wall sit while brushing your teeth or reading for class.

There are so many more creative ways to use your dorm room as a workout space when you aren’t feeling the walk to the Rec Center!