Body Positivity Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Body Positivity Week

This upcoming week, the Eating Concern Mentors at the University of New Hampshire are celebrating body positivity week. Almost 91% of women and 40% of men are insecure about some part of their body according to National Eating Disorders of America and the Eating Concern Mentors want to change this. There are a variety of events taking place next week that will reinforce positive body image and remind everyone that they are beautiful inside and out.

On Monday, there will be an activity in the MUB where students can write their favorite thing about themselves that have nothing to do with their body. There will also be a body positive mediation at the Health and Wellness Thrive office.

On Tuesday, there will be an activity in the MUB where students will post positive sticky notes onto a mirror. There will also be a documentary playing in the MUB theater later that night at 7pm. The documentary is called Embrace. “Embrace uncovers why poor body image has become a global epidemic and what women everywhere can do to have a brighter future. A funny, touching, at times gut wrenching but above all, life-changing documentary, the heart of Embrace is Taryn’s story. How she went from a body hater to a body lover. From being devastated by her perceived ugliness to proudly posing nude for the whole world to see.” (bodyimagemovement.com)

Wednesday there will be a table in the Hamel Rec gym about muscle dysmorphia. Muscle dysmorphia is a disorder where people obsess about being too small and underdeveloped. There will also be a cooking power hour class with Nourish UNH.

On Thursday, there will be the Fierce and Fabulous Expo. The Fierce and Fabulous Expo will have activities from making aromatherapy eye pillows to pet therapy dogs and chair massages. There will also be body positive mediation at Health and Wellness.

On Friday, there will be “How to help a friend” at Health and Wellness. At this event, the eating concern mentors will be answering any questions you have about helping a friend or family member who has an eating disorder.

There are so many wonderful events taking place to remind people to love their body. It’s important to realize that beauty is a feeling, not a size and there are many tips to improve body image. Some of the tips are…

• Every time you have a negative thought about yourself, replace it with a positive one!
  • Seek out media that reinforces body positive self-image and avoid ones that don’t.
  • Every day when you wake up and look in the mirror tell yourself, “you are beautiful”!
  • Try not to compare yourself to others; you are perfect just the way you are!
  • Surround yourself with people that remind you of your inner strength and beauty!

I hope you all have a wonderful week and remember that body positivity is for all bodies.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!