This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

To my significant other,

In honor of it being “the month of love”, I thought, why not write a letter of appreciation for your presence in my life. 

To be quite frank, I’m not entirely sure where to start. There are millions of things I could say about you, the amount of time we have spent with each other, and the millions of memories we’ve made in the time we’ve known each other. You have become a fixation in my life that I don’t think I could have ever been prepared for, but let it be known, that I’m entirely grateful for it. To put love into words is never easy, there are so many ways to express love without explicitly saying “I love you”, but I guess I shall give it a shot.

To start, I would like to thank you for quite literally everything. You have taught me more about life, love, myself, people, and the world, than I thought was humanly possible. You have become such a special person in my life, something I have always dreamt of having, and I am so thankful that it has been you. I want to thank you for all that you are, have done, and continue to do for me. Thank you for letting me into your life in the most vulnerable way, and allowing me to see more than what meets the eye. From your personality to the late-night thoughts, the feelings, emotions, the deepest secrets, and everything in between; I am truly grateful for being able to see you in your most rare form and getting to appreciate you in all of your entirety.

I have always dreamt of love, probably in the most cliché way possible, but it was always a dream of mine to fall in love. My expectations or thoughts of love may have been clouded by various romantic comedy films, teen drama shows, and gushy books. However, I can proudly say that I haven’t been disappointed with the amount of love and care you have given me and shown me. Even during the fights or rough patches, I have never once doubted the fact that you care and love me, and for that, I am truly grateful. I know I may not be a walk in the park sometimes, and that I come with my own (HEAVY) baggage, but I appreciate you sticking by my side throughout it all. 

It is nice knowing that I have someone to vent to whenever, and to have someone to share every piece of news in my life with, good or bad, insignificant or not (typically is very insignificant because stepping in a puddle on my way back from class is something that needs to be shared in my eyes). I love having a best friend and significant other all in one, a movie and tv show buddy, someone who also loves Harry Styles, someone who I get to send 100+ Tik Tok’s to every day, and someone who is there to comfort me when I cry the ugliest of cries and laugh the ugliest laughs. I love being able to have a reason to spend even more money that I don’t have because it’s not being spent on me, so it’s totally fine and I’m totally not putting myself in debt. I love being able to love someone in such an indescribable way. 

I will always cherish the moments we have shared, the memories we have made, the laughs and tears we’ve shared, the life lessons you’ve taught me, and everything in between. I will always cherish the time I have been given the honor of spending with you, and I will forever cherish the fact that I got to experience you for all that you are. No matter what. Sitting down and thinking about what to write has been a truly mind-boggling experience because I didn’t know it was possible to love and appreciate someone this much. I thought that was only specific to Harry Styles, but thank you for showing me that it isn’t.

From all of the Facetime calls, the “good morning” and “good night” text messages, the jam sessions in the car, and the designated shows, movies, and songs, every memory I have made with you will forever be ingrained in my mind. It is so hard to be able to put into words the amount of love, gratitude, care, and appreciation I have for you, so I hope I did a sliver of justice. You mean the world to me, more than you could ever know. Thank you for loving me, and for allowing me to love you. It has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, and I am so excited to get to learn more about you as time continues. Thank you for spending life with me thus far, and I can only hope we are a part of each other’s lives for much, much longer. 

You have changed my life for the better in so many ways, and have made me so incredibly happy throughout the time I have known you. I hope to do the same for you because you deserve that and then some. 

I’ll get off my soapbox now, but I just wanted to let you know that I love you (even though I say it to you all the time). 

Here’s to you, this Valentine’s day. You’re pretty cool if you ask me. 

Love,

The Best Person You Know <3. 

Hi! My name is Jenna Godin. I'm a senior Sociology major at the University of New Hampshire!