This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It seems life comes in waves, and at different times for different people. In these waves, change, growth, and development come along. I know I am not alone in saying this: change is scary. Even if it is positive like starting college or getting a new job, it can feel overwhelming. Of course, there are negative changes too; breakups, ending friendships, being alone for the first time. No matter what the change is, lessons come and teach us how to manage life and process things.

2019 has been interesting for me, but I can already formulate the lesson I am being taught. I am learning how to manage on my own, depend on myself for my happiness, and through these two tasks, I am becoming more confident. I feel that I am in a much better mental state than before the summer: I am confident, happier, and less stressed. But, before I knew all the good that would come, the change of the dynamic in my life was frightening. Moving past relationships is hard, but something that helps is remembering that the good memories influenced my life for the better.

I have learned to become more positive about the hardships that I face down the path. Recognizing the good in things is easier said than done, but over the past few years, I keep noticing how much negativity weighs me down. 

I believe there is always room for improvement. Each lesson that comes in life can be terrifying, and that is okay. Everybody is going through them, even if it is not at the same time as you. I have recognized I can constantly try to be a better person. Even others around me have noticed I am more comfortable in my skin. Years ago, I could never imagine feeling good about myself while also going through something negative or some drastic changes. I believe I have become better and can get better.

My lesson from this is to not dwell on change being scary, but recognize it is a wave in your life that is going to help you in the end. You can become stronger, as cliche as that sounds, and learn to defeat the negativity in your life. Accept the waves and challenges that come through your life and you will eventually get to the other side. Here’s to a great year at college!

Hi everyone, my name is Anna and I'm currently a sophomore at UNH! I'm currently studying English and Psychology. With an interest in editing, I love being part of HC! insta: anna.rk
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!