This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Are you finding yourself with less energy lately? Does coffee and Red Bull seem like it’s not doing its job anymore? It is time for you to take action now. Follow one, or two, or all of these tips and tricks to find yourself with more energy fast.

#1 Take a Power Nap

Taking a power nap in the middle of the day might not sound like a way to help you get up and going, but results have proven this to be very helpful.  Results show that they decrease mid-day exhaustion and help you to feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the day.  Think you don’t have time for this? The best time range for power naps is 10-20 minutes. This means you can take a powernap before or between classes, before work, or even before you start studying.

#2 Add Bananas to Your Diet

Bananas contain sugars (glucose, fructose, and sucrose) and fiber. Add them to your breakfast or early lunch to give you a boost to start your day off right.

#3 Drink More Water

We all know that water is important to have every day, but do you think you’re having enough? Often times when your body is lacking water, it displays the same signs as if you were lacking food so being thirsty is sometimes confused with being hungry. This might make it hard to tell when you are thirsty.  Not only can thirst mask itself for hunger, but it can also mask itself as fatigue. 

Tip: Always carry around a water bottle with you or know where the water bubblers are throughout the day & remember, the recommended amount of water per day is about half a gallon.

#4 Don’t Procrastinate

If you do what you need to do, and do it efficiently, you will become motivated. Motivation goes hand-in-hand with energy.

#5 Eat More Whole Grains

Whole grain foods are full of energy that gets slowly released throughout the day to help keep you fueled all day.

#6 Laughter is The Best Medicine

Simply by laughing more throughout the day, you will be less drained and instantly feel more energized.  This is another trick, like the power naps, that you can do at almost any time throughout your day.  I highly suggest watching Kid Snippets; they are short videos of adults acting out the reactions of children in certain situations with their voiceovers and I can’t watch one without laughing! If you’re hard to crack a laugh out of, even just smiling will do the trick.  Ask your mom/dad/sibling if you can video chat so you can say “Hi” to your dog (or cat, or fish) while you are away at school or on your break at work.

#7 Get a Massage

Having a slot of stress can use up a lot of your energy, leaving you drained!  What better way to relieve yourself of that than a massage.  Afterwards, you will feel relieved of stress and relaxed, which in the long run, will help you retrieve that energy you had been lacking!

#8 Add Berries to Your Diet

EAT BERRIES! Eat blue berries, eat red berries, pink berries, purple berries. Berries have anthocyanins which is an antioxidant that boosts your energy.

#9 Get More Sleep

This may seem like a no-brainer, but you can’t be up all night and expect to be fully “there” in the morning.  Whether you’re staying up studying, watching Netflix, or checking out what the middle-aged women of your life have been sharing on Facebook lately, know how much sleep you’ll get depending on what time you hit the hay.

Tip: Set a silent alarm on your phone for the time you should be asleep at in order to get a full night’s (7 or 8 hours) sleep, that way if you are looking at your phone when the silent alarm goes off, you’ll know that it’s time to put it down & count your sheep!

My name is Giselle Pimentel and I am a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!