6 Easy Appeitizers & Desserts for your Holiday Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Its officially the holiday season which means tons of parties and “get- togethers” with your favorite people. You do not need to be a fancy cook or spend a lot of money to impress your friends and family. Here are some easy appetizers and desserts you can make that will be a hit no matter if you’re going to a ugly sweater or New Years Eve party!

1. Taco Layer Dip 

• 8oz cream cheese
  • 8oz sour cream
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
  • tomato diced
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2.25 oz sliced black olives (optional)

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning and let it set in the fridge. Then layer the lettuce, cheese and tomato on top. Add a bag of Tostitos scoops and you’re all set! Your friends and family will be craving this dip long after the party.

2. Mini Brie Bites

• 1 package 15 mini fillo (phyllo) shells
  • 4-6 oz brie cheese
  • jar of favorite preserves

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place the shells on a baking sheet, cut brie into cubes and put one in each shell, then top with preserve. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted. This simple app will impress everyone!

3. Ham and Cheese Pinwheels

• 8 deli sliced ham
  • 4oz 4 slices of cheddar or swiss cheese 
  • 1 can crescent dinner roll dough

Layer cheese and ham on dough then roll into a log. Cut slices and bake in oven for 25 minutes! Easy and delicious.

4. Peppermint Bark

• 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 8oz semi-sweet chocolate bar
  • 8oz white chocolate bar
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 12 peppermint candies

Melt the chocolate with the canola oil until smooth. Add peppermint extract to the white chocolate and layer on top of the semi-sweet chocolate on non-stick parchment. Crush peppermint candies and crumble on top. Let the bark cool and the break in random pieces.

5. Oreo Truffles

• 1 pack of original Oreos
  • 1 pack of softened cream cheese
  • 1 bar of semi-sweet chocolate 

Crush the pack of Oreos then mix with cream cheese until completely combined. Form into balls and let cool for 15 minutes. Melt chocolate and coat truffles. People won’t be able to get enough of these treats!

6. Pretzel Hugs

• mini pretzels
  • Hershey Kisses
  • red and green M&M’s

Place pretzels on a cookie sheet with Hershey Kisses on top. Bake until chocolate is soft then place M&M on top. You can also make these with Rolos and sliced pecans!

UNH Journalism Student
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!