4 Things I’ve Learned After My First Year Of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With classes over and final exams right around the corner I’ve decided to close out this year with what I’ve learned in my first year of college. While there is so much that I’ve learned besides just these four ideas, these ideas really influenced my year and all the new experiences I encountered.  

1.Its okay to not be best friends with the people you met at the beginning of the year

While you may want to become best friends with the first person you meet at college, you don’t have to. Your friendships with people will grow throughout the year and by the end you may be best friends with people you didn’t think you would be close friends with. A lot happens in your freshman year so be open to all friendships, you will find your people. It all just takes time.

2. College is what you make of it

I definitely think this is an important thing to highlight. Everyone’s college experience is different, even for the people that attended the same University as you. Everyone will have different experiences than someone else, but make the most out of your time because nine months definitely flies by. Join intramurals, join1 a sorority, join a new club, or become involved in student government. There is so much that your University has to offer, but it comes down to how you decide to make the most of your time at school.

3. Your major doesn’t determine what you do in life

This was something I constantly had to keep telling myself. I knew I wanted to go into the healthfield from the get go, but majoring in a health profession would limit some of the experiences I wanted to have in college, like studying abroad. You’re only an undergrad once in your lifetime. It’s okay to not know what you want to do and most importantly it’s okay to have a job that is completely different than what you majored in in college. At the end of the day, this is your life and you should do what is best for you. Your major doesn’t define what path you take in life.

4.  Your your biggest cheerleader

I’m not gonna lie, college is definitely different than high school. It is a complete 180 from what your use too and while you may have the same support system you did back in highschool, your support system isn’t around 24/7. I definitely had to learn to be my own cheerleader through the typical mental breakdowns and encourage myself to both step out of my comfort zone and take everything day by day. I’m not saying that your support system isn’t cheering you on every step you go because they definitely are, but learn to believe in yourself and know that you’re capable of doing anything you set your mind too.

Communication Major  Health Management Policy Minor  AXID Tour Guide
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!