Wellness > Health

4 Reasons Why You Should be Wearing a Mask in Public

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Back in the beginning of March, wearing a mask in public wasn’t anywhere close to being considered the “norm.” By the end of March, much of the United States was living in quarantine and stocking up on toilet paper, canned goods, and anti-bacterial products. Six months later, life is still trying to find a way to resume. Most public places ask that entrants wear a mask, grab a squirt of hand sanitizer on their way in and require social distancing, but why are there people who have a problem with that? There are new headlines everyday about someone not complying with face mask regulations, but what good does wearing a mask do anyway?

Coronavirus
Unsplash

1. You are protecting yourself from potentially contracting the coronavirus (COVID-19), as it is a respiratory disease, unlike the flu.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

2. If you have COVID-19 and are asymptomatic, you are minimizing the risk of other people catching it who may be in high-risk groups or are immunocompromised.

COVID-19 swab test illustration
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

3. Wearing a mask is a sign of respect for others and recognition that you care about your health, as well as the health of others.

Woman putting on makeup with a face mask on
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

4. Wearing a mask is also a great way to express yourself, whether it be through a message on your mask or a fun pattern, or to just match it to your outfit.

woman wearing sunflower dress and face mask
Photo by Zach Vessels from Unsplash

Want to know more about how to protect yourself from COVID-19? Visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/preventio…

U. of NH 2022
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!