4 Reasons Why You Should be Wearing a Mask in Public

Back in the beginning of March, wearing a mask in public wasn’t anywhere close to being considered the “norm.” By the end of March, much of the United States was living in quarantine and stocking up on toilet paper, canned goods, and anti-bacterial products. Six months later, life is still trying to find a way to resume. Most public places ask that entrants wear a mask, grab a squirt of hand sanitizer on their way in and require social distancing, but why are there people who have a problem with that? There are new headlines everyday about someone not complying with face mask regulations, but what good does wearing a mask do anyway?

Coronavirus Unsplash

1. You are protecting yourself from potentially contracting the coronavirus (COVID-19), as it is a respiratory disease, unlike the flu.

Coronavirus Unsplash

2. If you have COVID-19 and are asymptomatic, you are minimizing the risk of other people catching it who may be in high-risk groups or are immunocompromised.

COVID-19 swab test illustration Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

3. Wearing a mask is a sign of respect for others and recognition that you care about your health, as well as the health of others.

Woman putting on makeup with a face mask on Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

4. Wearing a mask is also a great way to express yourself, whether it be through a message on your mask or a fun pattern, or to just match it to your outfit.

woman wearing sunflower dress and face mask Photo by Zach Vessels from Unsplash

Want to know more about how to protect yourself from COVID-19? Visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/preventio...