This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

1. Personal training offers individualized goal setting and personal training that is specific to each person. It offers more direct assistance in showing people the proper techniques and the correct equipment in order to maximize one’s workout. The downside is that it can be very pricy and become a time commitment depending on the amount of time the trainer and trainee meet each week. I recently began a personal training program at my local collegiate gym and have found I enjoy it very much. My trainer and I work on my personal goals and tailor the workouts to what I want to improve on. I enjoy the specialization in what we do and how it applies to my body type, but I also enjoy learning the techniques I can use on my own when I work out solo. Before, I was intimidated to go to the gym because I didn’t know what I was doing. Now, I feel secure in the exercises I am doing and know their purposes.

2. Fitness classes offer a community and support group that have similar goals and a more inclusive exercise environment. It can be more fun working out in a group, but it also holds an individual to a certain standard to keep up with everyone else. At the same time, most groups are understanding of the different limits of those that make up the group and do not push individuals too much past their boundaries. In my experience, workout classes can not only help make new friends, but they can also help give more insights into exercises you can do outside the class. The classes I have taken have really helped me improve my form, but they have also helped me stay motivated since I want to keep up with everyone else.

3. Individual workouts can be fun and relaxing. Simple things, such as taking a nature walk or biking, are workouts that can take as long as one needs to clear the mind and release some endorphins. The best part about a simple workout is that little equipment or training is needed, and it can be done on your own time. While classes and trainers are nice, sometimes it is good to just get back to the roots of exercising and just enjoy simple workouts that build the body, mind, and soul. Personally, taking a walk is a good way for me to get outside in nature, but it also allows to be with my thoughts and clear my mind. I can feel my worries fade away the more I walk or bike.

Learning to let go what I cannot control