Summer Semester: Yay or Nay?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

The end of the spring semester is quickly approaching, which means it is almost SUMMER! It’s almost time for swim suits, beaches and three months of relaxation. We know you want to just lay out at the beach the entire summer and never leave but don’t get too carried away this summer because may have to take summer classes.

Yes, I know that it’s your summer and you’ll party if you want to but, let’s get serious. Your last days in college are coming quickly, and you need all the good grades you can get. So, here are three reasons it’s a good idea to summer classes.

• Less students, less pressure

The campus will be majorly sparse so you will have less distractions and a higher chance to do well in a class. While the importance of the class is still relevant, you are able to focus more on what you’re doing because you won’t be taking as many. Summer is often a time where you can play catch up, so electives and minor classes are the way to go.

• You can actually handle being online.

You don’t want to miss the many parties and trips over the summer? Taking online classes frees up your schedule greatly! Being a student online gives you the responsibility to do your work at your own pace. There is usually a certain amount of assignments that have to be done weekly, but no worries. Online classes during the summer tend to be easier than expected. Juggling an online class during spring or fall is hectic since you have at least three other classes to worry about, not tot mention on campus activities. But, with the calmness of the summer brings the calmness of your schedule, so you have more time to sit and get your work done, and not stress over things that you are missing. 

• Graduation gets to be that much closer!

Taking summer classes, either online or on campus, completes some of your required classes you have to take. This can mean a lot of things depending on where you are right now. Maybe you’re taking extra classes ti graduate earlier, or maybe you’re making some classes up to graduate on time. Either way, taking classes over the summer let’s you get back on track, and be ready for the full thing come fall. 

It may not seem fun, but it’s something to think about! Summer classes are there for a reason, and it’s to push you towards graduation. But, whatever you do this summer, make sure it’s productive! You may end up regretting a full season wasted on the beach doing nothing and being bored when you’re schedule gets jam packed in the fall. 

Good luck, collegiettes!

My name is Techeira Francis and I am a Junior at the University of North Florida. I am a Criminal Justice major with a minor in Psychology. I am planning on having a career with the federal government working for Homeland Security. My interests include mystery murder books, caramel macchiatos, all criminal case shows (and I mean ALL), telling myself to go to the gym, and tea.
My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!