What even IS Labor Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you love Labor Day for the sole reason of getting an extra day of weekend. The “holiday” happens annually on the first Monday in September. This year, that day is September 5.

As the name of the holiday might suggest, Labor Day is a celebration of sorts of all working people. According to the US Department of Labor, the holiday “constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” In other words, it’s the government’s way of saying “thank you” to all those who work the stereotypical 9-5 job.

The origins of the holiday go back to 1882, where it was first observed in New York City. By 1885, Labor Day was being celebrated across the country. There are differing opinions about who created the holiday. Some say it was a man named Peter J. McGuire, co-founder of the American Federation of Labor; others think it could have been Matthew Maguire, a machinist and later the secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York.

It doesn’t really matter who came up with the holiday. We all know college students everywhere are grateful to have that extra day off. So thanks Peter or Matthew–we appreciate it.

Stay safe, collegiates, and enjoy your extra-long weekend!

Photos courtesy of inlandseas.org and sun-sentinel.com.

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.