This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

UNCW is a great school. We’re right by the beach, our campus is beautiful (when it’s not one giant construction site), and we Seahawks support each other when the going gets tough. It hasn’t been easy to transition back to normal college life after Hurricane Florence, especially with so many students displaced. There is a group on campus that is really working hard to keep our spirits up, and it’s none other than the Geese of UNCW.

The Instagram account @geeseofuncw posted its first picture on August 29th, 2018. Currently, the account has 1,670 followers. Almost every caption has a bird or goose related pun, and one of their most-liked pictures (at 392 likes) is a smidge of social commentary about the housing issues on campus (see below). The caption reads, “Getting screwed by your on-campus housing? there’s still plenty of space in our pond! Taking flapplications feb. 8th.”

The UNCW geese are a hot topic to discuss. Some people think the geese are annoying, or gross, or even creepy (I mean, have you seen their beady little eyes?!). However, @geeseofuncw is opening people’s eyes to the birds’ cuteness and helping us realize UNCW is their home too. We’ve got to share a campus with our wildlife friends. We also need to give them space—they aren’t domesticated pets—but that doesn’t mean we can’t snap a photo or video of them walking, honking, and flying. @geeseofuncw is able to continue because of photo submissions from students just like you, so be sure to DM them your best goose glamour shot!

Thank you, Geese of UNCW, for lifting our spirits and giving a voice (a honk?) to our school’s feathery friends. Remember, people, respect the geese!

[Photos courtesy of @geeseofuncw Instagram account.]

Rachel is a senior and Creative Writing major/English minor at UNCW. She loves to write about entertainment and often publishes listicles on her favorite movies, music, and TV. Rachel is probably rereading the Percy Jackson books, watching comedy specials on Netflix, or petting a dog right about now. Sometimes, she's doing all three.