bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Keep your Spirits Up as the Temperature Drops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

There’s a word for that gloomy feeling you get when the weather starts becoming chilly–three words, actually: Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD explains the serious mood fluctuation some people experience when seasons change. As the disorder’s acronym implies, cold weather can make you feel sad. This advice will help you keep your spirits up and your body healthy as fall and winter unfold.

Sip the perfect fall beverage. The cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, clove and nutmeg spices in chai tea mimic the flavors we associate with fall. You can make coffee shop quality chai tea at home to save money. Oregon Chai (look for the yellow and purple box) makes a delicious chai concentrate that can be mixed with warm milk to create an indulgent chai tea latte. Substitute almond milk for fewer calories and an extra dose of calcium.  

Keep your body bikini-ready. It can be hard to find the motivation to visit the gym when the weather gets cold. Just because swimsuit season is over doesn’t mean that you should get lazy with your workout. Maintaining the same toned and fit body you strive for in the summer keeps you feeling sexy and good about yourself, so keep up your regular gym schedule! The same goes for shaving your legs and painting your toenails. Even if no one sees your efforts, taking care of your body will make you feel attractive all season long. 

Indulge in a good daily stretch. Many people have forgotten how good it feels to stretch. Instead of hitting snooze when your alarm goes off, use the extra minutes to slowly wake up your body. Stretching your body by lying on your back and extending your arms and legs feels amazing. Even if you don’t have time to stretch in the morning, find five minutes every day to turn off your brain and relax. Taking only a couple minutes out of your day to focus on yourself will keep you feeling cozy and warm.    

Carve a pumpkin. This fun tradition seems to be long-lost among college students. Bring it back! Pumpkin carving is a great fall activity, and scooping out pumpkin seeds and guts is undeniably satisfying. Pumpkin seeds also make an interesting snack. Collect, wash and dry the seeds, sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar and bake them in the oven until they become crispy.

Spend time in the sun. Just because the weather is cooler doesn’t mean that you should stop spending time outside. Dress in layers on a sunny day and study, read or nap outside to soak up some sunshine and fresh air. A lack of sunlight can cause many people to feel depressed without knowing why, so make time outside a priority. Make sure you keep your blinds open so sunlight can reach you inside as well.

Go easy on the comfort food. Cooler weather seems to make carb-heavy foods like pancakes, pasta and pizza even more appealing. Treat yourself to these items, but make sure you are still eating plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Many people forget to drink water in the fall and winter, so stay hydrated too. Your body needs constant hydration, especially when the weather becomes cooler and drier.

Maintain a consistent schedule. It’s tempting to sleep in when the mornings are colder and darker, but keeping a fairly regular sleep schedule will keep your mood lifted. A good night’s rest and a productive day will help you feel upbeat and positive.

Embrace the season. Start your holiday shopping early! Yard sales and consignment shops are great places to find unique and affordable gifts. Plan an interesting holiday dish to contribute to holiday dinners with family or friends. Participating in fun activities and keeping busy will keep your spirits lifted and your mood energized.

Jessica attempts to raise awareness of important issues and emphasize individuality through writing and art. She believes in exposing the uncomfortable and unfamiliar through her work in efforts to promote understanding and acceptance. A senior at UNCW, Jessica enjoys reading, painting, traveling, and spending as much time outside as she can.