Kaitlyn Russell: Founder and President of Her Campus UNCW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Life is a balancing act for Her Campus’ Founder and Editor-In-Cheif, Kaitlyn Russell. She is debatably the busiest of all collegiettes- having to oversee the entire Her Campus Team and all that it entails is one of the most demanding tasks of all, yet she seems to handle it with such ease.

Kaitlyn is a junior and Denver, NC native. She transferred to UNCW her Sophomore year from Appalachian State University. In pursuit of warm weather and UNCW’s renowned Communication Studies program, Kaitlyn quickly adjusted by becoming a part of the community. She is a member of Lambda Pi Eta, the Honors Society for Communication Studies, and also works two on campus jobs for Housing and Residence Life.

Kaitlyn loves UNCW for its location: perfectly situated between Wrightsville Beach and the historic, yet vibrant, downtown scene. With her busy schedule, she cherishes the moments she gets to take a breath of fresh air and enjoy all that the city of Wilmington has to offer.

Itching to make her mark at UNCW, Kaitlyn decided to start a Her Campus chapter this past summer. The first meeting consisted of a group of 4 or 5 girls, and has since exploded. Kaitlyn led the new campus organization from the very beginning, which is seemingly becoming a huge resource for college-aged students, specifically UNCW lady seahawks!

“I think Her Campus is great because it is a forum for everything. We can help students on campus, give them an outlet, and provide them with something useful to read,” she said.

She is loving every minute of creating this new organization on campus. Her team has helped Her Campus UNCW grow in the few weeks since its’ launch and the interest has become overwhelming. Hoping to become the next big thing at UNCW and to expand her journalism skills, Kaitlyn is giving this online magazine her all.

She hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism after she graduates from UNCW, writing for something that can be a resource to her readership. With her leaps and strides thus far at UNCW, the future looks nothing but promising for this young collegiette!

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_