This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

As Thanksgiving gets closer and closer so does the busiest shopping day of the year, Black Friday. Stores all over the country have amazing deals for the taking that only last one day. However, if you are like me, and you don’t know where to start or how to have a successful Black Friday, here are some tips and tricks to help.

1. Plan ahead.

If you have finally decided to take a chance on Black Friday deals, you need to know where to start.  Most large chain stores, like Target and Macy’s, release their ad for the big day online the week before the actual sale. The biggest day to get all of the ads in the newspaper is on Thanksgiving Day.

2. Make a list of who you’re shopping for.

If you’re trying to get a head start on your Holiday shopping, it is a good idea to have a list of everyone you might be shopping for. Take it an extra step further and include some items for each person on your list giving you some target items to look for while shopping.

3. Comfortable clothes and shoes.

With all of the shopping and trying on clothes you will be doing on your shopping trip, make sure that you are comfortable for the long hours that you will be walking and shopping. Extra tip – have shoes that are easy to get on and off for all of the unexpected shoe deals that pop up.

4. Eat and stay hydrated.

You are going to be shopping for hours and are going to need something to keep you going. Coffee is a good start, but you also need energy. Eating a good meal before shopping will keep you going all day long, and make sure you have plenty of H2O.

5. Map out your shopping routes.

So you have decided where to go, who you are buying for, your outfit, and you have your energy for a full day of shopping… now it’s time to map out your route. Having a plan for what stores to hit and when to hit them will help make your shopping go much smoother.

6. Reward yourself.

After a full day of shopping, you deserve a treat. Make sure that you reward yourself with a good meal at your favorite restaurant, something special from your favorite store at the mall (i.e. Sephora, Victoria Secret), or have a spa day. You battled the crowds of Black Friday and, hopefully, made a dent in your holiday shopping list. Treat yourself!

7. Prepare for Cyber Monday.

So now that you finished with Black Friday and just want to relax with your Netflix, make sure that you are ready for Cyber Monday. There are even more deals for you to take advantage of only a few days later – ONLINE!

Jessica is a senior majoring in Film Studies and minoring in Business. She is set to graduate in December. After graduation, she plans to pursue a career in Film focusing on pre-production. Being a part of the Her Campus chapter at UNCW has helped Jessica branch out in her writing and explore new interest.