A Guide to UNCW Lingo for Newly Accepted Seahawks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Everyone is the newby in a situation at one point in their life, and being the new kids comes along with a little lack of knowledge. And this is definitely true in the case of new UNCW students who have no prior knowledge on our campuses lingo. So, in an effort to help accomodate those attending this beautiful school in the fall, here are 10 on campus colloquialisms that will help you look less like fresh blood:

1. UNI & Links

For incoming new students, there is one mandatory class that introduces you to the university. Though many complain about how it is unnecassary or a waste of time, ultimately UNI will introduce you to other new students as well as to organizations that you can get involved in on campus. You will also have an upperclassman who will sit in on your UNI class, almost like the assistant teachers you had in elementary school, called a ‘Seahawk Link.’ This person ends up being able to help answer questions you have about your college.

2. Wag- Wagoner Dining Hall

If you have an evening UNI class and your Link decides it could be fun to invite students to dinner, they might do as mine did and invite you to Wag. Wag is an abbreviation of Wagoner Dining Hall, which is at the end of Chancellor’s walk- which is a later entry in this exact blog. Refrain from calling it Wagoner or forever be branded a freshman. 

3. Dub’s- Dub’s Cafe

Dub’s is another case like Wag. At the opposite end of Chancellor’s inside of the building known as Warwick, Dub’s Cafe is known solely as Dub’s on this campus.

4. CAB- the Cultural Arts Building

A building where you can see UNCW plays, performances, art exhibits, and, for none artistic students, take easier classes to fulfill University Study requirements. CAB is an abbreviation of the Cultural Arts Building.

5. Chancellor’s- Chancellor’s Walk

As you have seen in recent entries, no veteran UNCW student refers to the full title of Chancellor’s Walk. Chancellor’s is the long, wide pathway in the center of campus that connects most of the academic buildings, and when discussing the near death experience of almost being hit by a biker with friends, drop the ‘Walk’ in the title.

6. CAIC- Campus Activities and Involvement Center

CAIC is where you will get involved in student organizations. If you are within a campus organization, you basically do a large majority of things through CAIC’s office.

7. ACE- Association for Campus Entertainment

ACE is a student run organization that puts on events throughout the year for the entertainment of students. For example, they put on the concerts like when the brought T-Pain to campus.

8. Lumina- Lumina Theater

Another staple of ACE is showing films on campus at our movie theater, Lumina. Also, if you have seen the horror film The Conjuring, you have seen this theater. One of the first scenes in a lecture hall is actually in Lumina.

9. G-Way- Galloway Residence Hall

Though many of the freshman dorms have nicknames, known of them are as mostly known as Galloway’s nickname. G-Way is in the Freshman Quad along with Belk, GH (Graham- Hewlett), and the University Apartments.

10. The Schwuites- Schwartz Residence Hall and the Suites

Another area with a well known nickname is the Schwuites- which encompasses the freshman dorm known as Schwartz and the predominately Greek, Univeristy Suites. The Schwuites also put on a music festival every year called Schwoodstock.

[Photo courtesy to UNCW]

A junior at UNC Wilmington double majoring in English-Professional Writing and Communication Studies, Casey aspires to work in the field of journalism post-grad. Not only is she Co-Campus Correspondent, but she is also the Editor in Chief of her school's paper, is a writing tutor and has an obsession with early twentieth century American literature.