Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer In Bed
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

Goals this Semester to Becoming an Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

With graduation just a couple of months away, I’ve been thinking of things I still want to learn before I get pushed into the adult world. So, for my last semester, I plan on learning some skills that will help me transition to full adulthood a bit easier. So here is my plan, if you, too, want to come along this journey! 

Budgeting & Saving My Money 

This is one of my biggest things to learn this semester because I love shopping and I love spending money when I have it. It is one of my most undesirable qualities about myself. Due to this thinking, I get into this terrible habit of spending a lot of money to the point where I get anxious about paying my bills and I start to spiral.

Patrick Spongebob Money
Tenor

So I bought this book on Amazon that has great reviews called Broke Millenial by Erin Lowry, and it breaks down budgeting, paying off student loans and how to move back in with your parents. 

Creating & Sticking with a Gym Schedule

I’ve been an off and on gym goer my entire time in college, so I am going to prioritize taking care of my body. My schedule this semester has given me more time to plan, so it’s been easier to plan, but I still do not know how to make a workout schedule properly. I think I am going to try Whitney Simmons’ new app, Alive, which has workout plans and schedules on it. For those who do not know Whitney, she is a fitness YouTuber that focuses more on living a positive lifestyle while taking care of your body versus counting calories and consistently weighing yourself. I have been following her workouts for a couple of months, so I am stoke for her new app! 

Learning to Eat at Home

Another not-so-positive habit of mine is buying groceries to cook for the week but then eat out almost every meal and have to throw all the food away because it went bad. *insert the Chrissy Teigen gif of her staring into the camera awkwardly*

My goal is to meal prep a bit more and be honest with the food I am going to eat; in the end, it will save me money and time. I am still learning this, with the help of a meal prep blogger called Fresh Erica. She has made Buzzfeed videos on how to meal prep and she just published her beginner meal prep guide to it all. (I would totally recommend the quinoa salad from her cookbook!)

Create Positive Mental Health Habits

I know this is something I will be working on for the rest of my life, but I want to get some positive habits down before May. This semester, I have been blessed with being able to take a Creating Happiness and Wellbeing class; through there, I have been learning ways to prioritize my mental health. I have been trying things such as writing down three things I am grateful for in the last 24 hours and learning how to stop comparing my journey to other people’s. In my class, we are reading The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky, and I would totally recommend to anyone who just wants to learn ways to create more genuine happiness in your life. 

The Lalagirl Smiling Holding Journal
Her Campus Media

Even though I am trying to learn all of these in a couple of months, it would not be best to try to make all of these changes at once because it could become overwhelming. Chose one and focus on incorporating it into your life, and you will start to feel more put together in no time. 

Share with us your journey on Twitter @HerCampusUNCW or on Instagram @hercampusuncw!

Julie is a positive senior from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is an inspiring travel journalist who is double majoring in Communication Studies and International Studies along with having a minor in Spanish. With a lot on her plate you can always catch her in the library or stress knitting in her apartment while bing-watching "Queer Eye" or "Parks and Rec".