books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Five Tips to Ace Your Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

There is no time like finals time at a college campus. Everyone is trying to find the best spot in the library, ditch the parties, break their Netflix addiction, and still cram all of what they learned during the semester to pass their final exam.

So, I put together the five top tips to do the best you can on your final exams!

1. Review Your Notes (focus on what you don’t know)

This may sound like a no-brainer, but a lot of times we spend too much time reviewing the things we know, rather than our weak points. My best advice is to try to look over old tests, and see what questions you miss frequently and try to perfect them. Reviewing your notes is key when trying to make an A on a final exam.

2. Go to Study Sessions/ Study Buddy

There have been many times when my professor has offered a study session that I didn’t show up to; however, study sessions are the best way for you to really grasp what is on the test because the teacher is going to be going over everything that will be on the exam. It is also the best time to hound your professor with questions you may have! Also, studying with someone from your class can help enhance your knowledge of the topic. When you study with someone else, you can share study tips and also master the material together!

3. Get a Good Night’s Rest

Sleep is important. Let me repeat: sleep is important. As college students, we overrun out bodies by trying to function on three or four hours a sleep a night. But, our brains and bodies need time to relax and process all the information we loaded onto them. Since most students stress out over exams anyway, not sleeping can really impact the body in a negative way. Make sure the night before your final exam, you relax and allow yourself at least six to six and half of hours of sleep. That way your body can take time to recuperate and perform at its best on exam day.

4. Get Organized

Although this tip really helps when done at the beginning of the year, it can also be done towards the end. If you become organized before your exam, you can gather all your old worksheets, papers, and tests to study them. Getting organized is important because you do not want to be stressing out the day of the exam trying to make sure you have everything.

5. Relax, and Take A Deep Breath!

College students are hard on themselves and they tend to never relax and enjoy the opportunities of college. Before you sit down and take your exam, relax and breathe. I truly believe that if you think happy thoughts, and believe everything will be okay, you will do better on the test. Even if you had to cram all the information in the night before (which you shouldn’t!!), think positive. By taking that deep breathe you bringing oxygen into your body, and allowing it to work at it’s fullest potential. 

Hello! My name is Stephanie Spencer and I am a sophomore at University of North Carolina Wilmington. I am interested in PR, and one day I want to move to Chicago and work for a company that will allow me to travel the world. I love to read and write and I have too many dreams and aspirations.