Confessions Of A Transfer Student: 12 Things I Learned The Hard Way At UNCW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

A little over a month ago, I packed my life into one too many boxes and left my small town of Apex to start a new life in Wilmington. I figured I would have everything under control considering I was starting my second year of college; obviously, I was delusional. Transferring from community college to a university is a huge adjustment, and I can’t believe I thought I could adjust in a hot minute.

I will confess, I learned and said some pretty dumb things the past few weeks that gave my upperclassmen friends and roommates a good laugh. My unfortunate mistakes will help freshman and my fellow transfers (you’re welcome) or just amuse upperclassmen. So here are my 12 confessions for your entertainment. Grab the popcorn!

1. “Wag Out” is not another nickname for the dining hall.

Turns out “Wag” and “Wag Out” are two different things. Wag Out is like dining hall food to go, and they’re still open after Wag closes. Also don’t call Wag a restaurant because your upperclassmen friends will never let it go.

Courtesy of Tumblr

2. No, you can’t walk to the beach from campus.

Newbie mistake. It’s possible but a little too far. I would rather be in a car for eleven minutes and worry about parking than spend an hour struggling to bike there. 

Courtesy of Tumblr

3. Stepping on the logo between Hawk’s and the bookstore is “bad luck.”

My friend jokingly said this as we walked by and I jumped back, followed by his laughter. I’m not 100% sure if this is an official superstition, but do with this information what you will. 

Courtesy of Giphy.com

4. Golden retrievers roam the campus.

I frequently see the same three full-grown retrievers walk around campus. From the Landing to Randall these dogs are the happiest animals, and I promise they will make your day.

Courtesy of Pinterest

5. Have a raincoat nearby at all times.

I walked into my second day of class looking like a wet dog. The highlight of that moment was when a girl looked me up and down, said, “Wow,” and walked away.

Courtesy of Giphy.com

6. PCJ is Port City Java, the coffee shop at the library.

Give me the benefit of the doubt, when people say, “Hey lets go to PCJ!” I have no clue where I am going. Are we getting pizza? Is it fro-yo? Nope. It’s coffee and it is delicious.

Courtesy of eonline.com

7. Chancellors Walk is a death trap.

Literally anyone on wheels has no problem flying by a centimeter away from you and almost wiping both of you out when you’re just trying to walk in peace.

Courtesy of giphy.com

8. Starbucks on campus won’t let you use the Starbucks app and it’s actually depressing.

I lived off the Starbucks app back home so imagine my disappointment at this realization. They don’t make all the fancy frappuccinos either; however, there are two very nice locations very close to campus.

Courtesy of giphy.com

9. Paddleboarding is great until you fall on an oyster bed.

I finished the trip with nine stitches in my leg. I don’t want to talk about it.

10. Only ten people ahead of you in line at Kilwin’s is a blessing.

This ice cream shop downtown contains the answer to every sweet craving you will ever want in life. The first time I went there I was like, “Oh, the line is long!” but ten people was nothing compared to the line down the street and around the corner when we left.

Courtesy of giphy.com

11. The full version of the new logo is supposed to be a “W.”

I love the new logo, but I was telling a friend that I didn’t really like the “full body” one that shows the wings. When he said that it was supposed to be a W everything makes sense now. If you didn’t see it before, now you know.

Courtesy of giphy.com

12. I thought all UNCW students would be snobby.

Every single person I have met here has been so nice and welcoming which made my transition so much easier. I was worried about finding nice people to hangout with, but my roommates and their friends have been the sweetest people. From late night discussions about Inside Out to random midnight trips to the beach, I’m so glad I have found a new family at UNCW.

Courtesy of Buzzfeed.com

Most likely at Target and/or drinking sweet tea. Senior from Apex, North Carolina. Co-Campus Correspondent for the UNCW chapter, Contact me with any comments or questions!