samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bri Belicic, Campus Cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.
Name: Bri Belicic

Year: Sophomore

Major: Marketing, minoring in Information Technology

Relationship Status: Taken!

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Sophomore, Bri Belicic! Be prepared to get inspired by Bri’s passion and drive for her future and learn about her love for her friends, family, and education.  It’ll be hard not to fall in love… (Sorry boys… she’s not on the market!)

HC: What did you miss most about UNCW over the summer?

BB: It was definitely difficult for me to leave UNCW this summer since the place I had been living all year is one of the most popular vacation spots in North Carolina during the summer time. That being said I obviously missed the beach, the great weather, and the beautiful sites of Wilmington. Most importantly I missed all of my best friends I made freshman year of college since I went back home for the entire summer. It’s hard leaving the people you spend all of your time with  for three months, but we were all good about keeping in touch with each other and looked forward to the upcoming school year. I also missed my sorority sisters and our weekly chapter meetings, but it gave me something to look forward to when getting back to school.

HC: What did you do this summer?

BB: This summer I took on two awesome internships that I am very grateful for. One was at the Apex Chamber of Commerce, which is in my hometown, and the other was for a marketing strategy company called Media Integrations. They both go hand in hand with giving me the proper experience of the kind of work I am most interested in pursuing as my career. 

HC: What are your goals for the future/ dream job?

BB: I am a person that enjoys doing really fun, spontaneous, and interesting things (like most people). However, I understand it takes money to travel, see the world and have the opportunities to meet new people in these experiences. My goal in life is to have a job that gives me the flexibility to spend time with the people I love and that does not keep me enclosed in a cubicle for 8 or 9 hours a day. I am very motivated in finding a job that is right for me, that I am good at, that I will enjoy and that will provide me the income I need to do everything I would like. I value experiences and memories over materialistic items and traveling to cool places in this world is not cheap. Since I am an IT major, in this day and age, it is possible for me to work wherever I please as long as I have the appropriate computer, software, and communication tools required. I am not exactly sure what I want to do with my job, but as of now I enjoy web design, development, and marketing strategy.

HC: Are you involved on campus?  If so, how?

BB: I am in Greek life, a member of Phi Mu, and I am very involved in it. I hope to have an executive position someday because I really look up to the leadership portrayed in all the girls that are on it. They are all very responsible, reliable, and easily approachable. I’ve learned how important it is for a leader to have these qualities in any type of organization. I strive to earn the respect and role model position many girls have worked for and achieved in our chapter.

HC: How do you think you have evolved from your freshman year?

BB: I have evolved a lot since my freshman year. Looking back, I was very confused. I had no intentions of who I would become at UNCW. My brother had always paved the path for me to follow since we were little. He is someone I’ve always respected and looked up to. We share very similar goals and values, so why not follow the people you look up to? In high school, everyone knew me as his little sister, so I already had an identity when I became a student there. College is a different world than high school. It’s too big for everyone to know your older brother, no matter how cool he is. It was my first opportunity to pave my own path and determine what direction I wanted to go. I chose Greek life, something my brother never had an interest in and it was my best decision in college so far.

HC: How do you think this year is going to be different than your freshman year?

BB: My freshman year was pretty amazing, but I already know this year will be better. I already know the campus, I understand how college works, and I have finally established myself. I have more of an idea with what I want to do with my life, which is comforting. I also have a solid group of friends, a support system, which is something I lacked during the first semester of my freshman year. I feel my college experience can only grow and become better from here.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish this year?

BB: This year I hope to stay on Dean’s list or maintain a GPA above my chapter’s GPA goal – a 3.30. I hope to take on an exec position in my sorority by the spring semester. I also hope to have another internship or job lined up for this upcoming summer. Another thing I would like to happen is for me to fall in love with a class I take. This might not happen typically until junior year, but I feel like once I find a class that I absolutely love and I’m passionate for, I will understand the specific career I want to have after college.

[Photo Credit: Bri Belicic]