5 Ways to Get Through the Mid-Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Many suffer throughout the winter months as the endless gray skies and frosty mornings drain our energy and the lack of sunlight dampens motivation. Some call it the Winter Blues; however, many people unknowingly suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)— a common ailment that consists of fatigue, isolation, lack of energy and motivation, and other typical symptoms related to depressive disorders. Although SAD typically resolves within a matter of months, there are some steps you can take to get through those dreary weeks.

1. Vitamins. Make sure you are getting enough vitamin D and vitamin C in these dark months; it is crucial to energy levels and mood boosting. Of course, every supplement should be monitored by a doctor’s supervision, however, it is common for sufferers of SAD to be deficient in certain vitamins, particularly vitamin D.

2. Exercise. This is so important in the cold months when any type of exercise can seem like a huge obstacle. Even on the days when it’s too cold outside, something as simple as 30 minutes of yoga in your living room can make a huge difference. Anything to get your blood circulating and release endorphins will help.

3. Aromatherapy. Using herbs and essential oils to boost mood and focus can improve symptoms of SAD. Adding a few drops to your bathwater or shower, using an essential oil diffuser, or sniffing it straight from the bottle are a few easy ways to discover the benefits of aromatherapy. Oils like lavender and chamomile can help with relaxation, citrus and mint oils are great for energy and focus, and rosemary and basil oil can improve memory.

4. Light therapy. For more serious and debilitating cases of SAD, many users of light therapy report positive effects and findings within a short amount of time. Light therapy lamps or boxes can be bought, and even rented from some counselors and psychologists. The light simulates the effects of sunshine and provides specific wavelengths that are beneficial to mood.

5. Limit alcohol and caffeine consumption. These substances can actually aggravate the negative symptoms of SAD and make the condition worse, especially considering alcohol is a depressant. Trying substitutes for coffee such as green tea (still has some caffeine but loaded with antioxidants!) can limit your dependence on caffeine to keep you awake during the day. Additionally, try cutting back on alcohol and can make symptoms like low mood much worse.

Of course, if you feel a worsening change in your mood for an extended amount of time (even past the winter months) or your condition doesn’t improve with simple lifestyle changes, seek out help from a doctor. Depression is a serious mental disorder that can lead to suicidal thoughts and even death.

Information about SAD provided by mayoclinic.org.

Photo courtesy of brookeasstuart.com

Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.