5 Thoughts During Your Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The senior struggle is real, and Her Campus knows it.

1. “Lab report, then English paper, then group project for psychology, then blog posts for that one last general requirement…”

We are busy. Seriously. Senior year is no joke when it comes to workload. The homework is piled high, and with lots of coffee, a dash of determination, and a pedal-to-the-metal attitude, we know we can get it done.

2. “I’m never going to see these people again.”

Okay, maybe that’s a bit overdramatic, but the sentiment is true! The people we’ve spent the last four years getting to know–our best college friends–won’t be in our lives nearly as much after graduation. We won’t see them walking down Chancellor’s Walk or last-minute studying outside of Randall. After year four, we all go our separate ways, forging a new path.

3. “I can’t wait to get my own place.”

College living is more or less living next to at least one other person–most likely more–for four years straight. For those of us who have lived in the dorms on campus the whole time, we’re excited to move into a space with walls that are more than an inch thick. For others who have gotten a taste of apartment life, maybe the thought of renting a townhouse or actual house is appealing. Regardless, one thing is for certain: Being able to live alone is a welcome change of pace.

4. “Do I go to grad school, take a year off, try to find a ‘big girl’ job, travel the world…?”

Questions regarding that next step inevitably start to make themselves known throughout that fourth year. We can’t help but wonder what it is we should do after getting that diploma. The choices and opportunities are endless; it’s just a matter of picking the right one. Hopefully with the help from our advisors, mentors, parents, and friends, we’ll all be able to figure out the best choice.

5. “What am I going to do with my life?”

Entering college as a freshman, we think we’ve got it all figured out. Four short years later, that’s a different story entirely. Suddenly, the “real world” looms just out of reach and we all start to question our futures. Time keeps ticking on, and so do we. All of us will eventually find the place we’re meant to be.

Photos courtesy of Glen Noble and Baim Hanif via unsplash.com

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.