5 Benefits of Being a Super Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

It’s taking me five instead of four years to graduate from college with my bachelor’s degree. This is for several reasons, but the bottom line is that it’s taking me longer to graduate than anticipated. In fact, most students don’t graduate in four years for many of the reasons I’ve faced (as well as others).

As I finish at UNCW a year later, I realized there are benefits to graduating later. That path isn’t for everyone, but if you find yourself in a position where you could be a super senior (or already are), don’t see it as a death sentence; see it as a chance to expand your horizons! 

You Get More Opportunities 

Students have so many opportunities unique to them while they’re in school—joining clubs they didn’t think they would like, spending more time at the career center, getting freebies for being a student (I can’t count how many UNCW T-shirts I have!), and receiving student discounts at certain stores. I wouldn’t have had those chances if I graduated “on time.” Heck, I didn’t join my chapter of Her Campus until last semester; I wouldn’t have written this article if I had left school by now!

You Strengthen Old (And New) Relationships

Had I graduated early, I wouldn’t have met some of the best friends I have today. At the same time, I may not have had the chance to get to know some of my older friends as much as I do now that we’re still in school. This has actually extended to the faculty and staff as well: I’ve gotten to know them better and many have become mentors. It’s been a blessing in many ways.

You Feel Less Rushed

Yes, knowing I didn’t graduate “on time” kind of sucks in some ways, but it’s nice in so many other ways. It feels great that I’m no longer in a “race” to graduate by a certain date. It gives me some much-needed breathing room (not to mention not as many classes to take this semester!)

You Get To Know Yourself Better

Your college career is an excellent time to explore your passions and potential career paths. Taking an extra year in school has helped me narrow down job fields that interest me and ones that don’t. I know better now what’s important to me and how to incorporate my passions into my future life.

You’re More Mature 

Extending a year has given me a different outlook than if I was here for 4 years. I feel like I’ve matured a bit more than I would have if I graduated earlier. I am thinking about what I’m interested in and what’s most important to me. I appreciate my major more. I think it helps, too, that graduating later helps you realize that there’s no competition to get your degree and everything will be fine regardless of how you may have felt last year.

drinking from water bottle on beach
Photo by Dylan Alcock on Unsplash
The biggest benefit I’ve found from being a super senior is that I’ve realized that graduating later than intended isn’t the end of the world. This isn’t to dismiss plans for graduating on time and loans and other issues to consider, but it is to say that being a super senior won’t kill you or your world. College is a unique experience, and I want to savor that moment instead of going through the motions in life. Not to mention graduating in 2020 sounds pretty cool. It’s a new decade, after all!

Fairley Lloyd is a graduate of the University of North Carolina Wilmington with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and a Certificate in Publishing. She is just learning about astrological signs but is 100% sure that she's an Aries. In addition to writing, she enjoys reading, dancing, crafting, and doing anything creative.