Why You Should Attend Freshmen Back to School Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

During the first week or weekend before classes, your college will probably have back to school events for freshmen, such as movie nights, outdoor parties, etc. Although these school-sponsored events may seem cheesy or lame, there are some real benefits to attending them. Here are three reasons why you should go to your school’s freshmen events.

1.You’ll meet new people. Meeting your fellow schoolmates is really helpful in forming connections that will last into the school year, even if you don’t end up being best friends with them. You can possibly meet people in the same major as you, people in your dorm, people in your classes, the list goes on and on. These contacts can come in handy when you need help or a favor in the future, so make the effort to reach out to others at these events! You never know who you’ll meet!

2. You’ll get a chance to get a break before the work hits you. The first day of the semester you will have papers and projects to start on, readings, notes to study, etc. Although technically you’ll have the summer to relax at home, getting a chance to familiarize yourself with campus while participating in fun activities can be a good way to get out and de-stress before classes start, and also get to know your surroundings more.

3.Free stuff/food! With most college T-shirts and hats priced at over $20, repping your school can come at a steep price. Thankfully, at these events they’ll usually give out free college gear to store in your collection, as well as other free gifts. Also, most of these events will have some kind of free food, which we all know is always a plus for college students! Restaurants around campus may be giving out free samples at these events as well, so it’ll also give you an opportunity to try these places without spending your money.

Remember everyone is in the same boat as you. Regardless of whether you’re coming in with a lot of friends or you know no one, adjusting to college is nerve-wracking, so coming to these events can be a great way to feel less apprehensive about your new environment and college in general. Take advantage of these opportunities and have fun!

Jessica is a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, with a major in Political Science and a minor in French. In her free time, she loves trying new foods and restaurants, binge watching cooking shows, and listening to 90s R&B.