Taking the GRE According to Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Preparing for and taking the GRE is by far the most stressful thing I have done this semester. Why? Because I really didn’t prep as much as everyone said I needed to and the roughly $200 it costs made the idea of retaking it seem impossible.

The good news is, I did fine and will not be forking out anymore money for it. The bad news is my face is still recovering from the stress breakouts that resulted. To give a better idea of how things went, I’ll let our good friend Leslie Knope explain the process from prep to taking the test.

Step 1: Figure out whether you need to take the GRE at all. You might need to take a different test depending on the program you are looking for.Step 2: Register for the GRE and get excited about how you’re one step closer to getting the graduate degree.

Step 3: Study, study, study. Learn how to take the test. And then study some more. You can never be too prepared for a test like this. Take AT LEAST 30 minutes a day for no less than a month prior to your test day and get it done.

Step 4: Stop studying and relax the night before. Gotta make sure you are cool, calm and collected. Eat your favorite treat, take a bubble bath and don’t forget to get good sleep.

Step 5: Show up to the test prepared to crush it. Because you will. All you have to do is take your time and remember all the great stuff your prep taught you.

The moral of the story is go for it. You can do a great job, just know what you need to do, prepare for it, and get it done. It is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be, so learn from my mistakes and relax. Your skin will thank you for it.

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.