Juggling Multiple Jobs as a Full-Time Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Today, working multiple jobs is very common. College students might not have parents to depend on, they have bills, or maybe they just want to save some extra money. Whatever your reason may be, I’m sure it’s because you don’t want to be broke. Life as a full time college student already involves early mornings and late nights so having a job won’t make that better. As a full time student who has multiple jobs, I know that it’s hard to find a balance in your life. But I have found a way to make it a little easier.

1. Plan Everything Out Ahead of Time – Whether you plan it weeks or months in advance make sure you know what your next few days will look like. Write it down or use an electronic calendar with your classes, work schedule or extracurricular activities. Know when your next assignment is due and plan accordingly.

2. Stay local- try to limit how far away your workplace is so that you won’t have to rush from your next job or class. Staying local will increase your amount of breaks between activities and will allow you to save money on gas.

3. Communicate effectively- Speak to your supervisors and professors to make sure they know what’s going on. Most jobs will stick to the same schedule since your classes are the same every week.

4. Take A Break If Necessary- If you have a day off and have the choice to work someone else’s shift, I would suggest you take the day off. It’s always better to give yourself some time to relax because those days are rare.

5. Know Your Limits- If you’re taking over 18 credit hours and try to work over 40 hours a week, chances are, it won’t end well. Know how much time you have in a day and know how much you can handle as well.

I hope that these tips will help you in your efforts to make money and earn an education. If you have any other tips to add, feel free to let me know!

My name is Morgan Collins, I am 21 years old and I am currently enrolled at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro as a Senior. I am a Media Studies Major and I am interested in photography as well.