diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Body Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

At least 30 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder in the U.S. according to the Nations Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, INC. So it’s no big surprise that body positivity is such a big deal in the time and world we live in. Most people grow up comparing themselves to supermodels or actors that give us unrealistic models of what bodies look like or should look like, and because of that we struggle trying to make our bodies look like someone else’s. But how do we combat those awful habits and negative thoughts of being fat?

First off I think it is helpful to think of body positivity as an issue that’s as important as others such as homophobia or prejudice. If we consider body positivity and healthy weight goals as important, it’s easier to take it seriously and not give in to some of the romanticism that people can put on eating disorders. “It’s not that big of a deal” is a lie that should not be spread.

Another issue is that you can still think you’re fat and not have an eating disorder. And while it’s good to not have one, you deserve to think of yourself in a positive light. Consider your importance. Treasure the fact that you have your body and that it is like no one else’s. I used to do this technique where I would touch the part of my body that I am most insecure about and tell it that I love it. Yea, it’s a little weird but sometimes to get to the level of loving your body instead of hating it that what’s you have to do. Also know that it’s going to take time and that you are not going to wake up loving your body.

The best thing you can do is talk about it with other people. Majority of us are all going through the same thing but we refuse to talk about it in fear of judgment. TALK ABOUT IT. Even if you just write a letter to yourself or even a friend about how you feel about yourself is good first step.

Know that you’re not alone and that we all (literally 30 million people!!) go through it! Happy body positivity!!

a writer and editor for the UNCG chapter of Her Campus.