This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

The beginning of a new semester can be both intimidating and invigorating. On one hand, you’re super excited to get back in the books but on the other hand you’re a little overwhelmed because you know just how physically and mentally exhausting even just ONE semester can be. Although it is super important to be on you’re A-game and start the semester off right, it is equally (if not more) important to make sure your sanity stays intact along the way. Here are a few things you can do keep yourself organized, balanced, productive, and striving for greatness.

1. Visit the UNCG Meditation Room: The meditation room, located in the EUC, is the perfect place to go when you need nothing but absolute peace and quiet. Described as “an environment where members of the university community can use for contemplation, spiritual renewal, prayer, reflection or relaxation, leading to a sense of inner connection and peace”, the meditation room will provide a comfortable space where you can be alone with your inner thoughts and get away from the stress of school even if it’s just for a short time.

2. Enjoy a bubble bath: My all-time favorite coping mechanism. It’s sort of like having your own meditation room in the comfort of your home, to make it even better you can add any element you like. I treat my bubble baths like a time where I can do nothing but simply relax, think about my day and contemplate life, so there always pretty therapeutic. Some of the elements I like to add to enhance the ambience are: a Himalayan Salt Lamp, known for naturally purifying the air and increasing serotonin levels (use candles if you don’t have one but honestly you should really invest in one), essential oils which can be added directly into the water or a humidifier (I like to add lavender oil in my humidifier for a calming scent and argan oil in my bath for soft skin), soft music and, of course, bubbles!

3. Spend time with friends: This one is super important. Sometimes, you just need a day or even a few hours, of time where you can socialize and let loose. Whether its’ night a on the town or even a quick lunch, making time for friends is a great way to cope with stress from any source. More than likely, they’re stressing about the new semester too so they are a great resource when it comes to needing someone to talk to, getting a push of motivation, or studying together.

4. Wake up an hour early: This is something I’ve just recently come to appreciate. Although its’ super hard to pry myself out of my comfy bed at 7 AM, the amount of little things I can get done within that hour make my day so much easier.

5. Make a to-do list for each of your classes: This is something I’m a little compulsive about. Whoever created sticky notes saved my life. Typically, I’m a little unorganized so the method of writing down everything I need to get done for the day keeps me right on track! I stick them right on my laptop to make sure I’m constantly reminded that I actually have a lot of adulting to do.