This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

If there is one thing girls have in common it’s wanting perfect skin. I mean, who doesn’t want to have the confidence of being able to walk out of the house with no makeup on and rock it? It just makes life so much easier when you are able to roll out of bed and not worry about covering up a pimple or wondering if everyone is staring at your acne. Here, I have put together a little four step skincare routine!

Step 1: GET PLENTY OF REST

Cleary, this step is 100% free so you don’t even have to worry about spending a dime! How cool! When it comes to sleep, they say you need up to 8 hours of sleep every night in order to get the correct amount of sleep for your body and your health.  Now, I know we are all in college and there will be times that we, unfortunately, may have to have late nights and that’s okay. We have all been there. On the other nights, go to bed! Not only are a solid 8 hours of snooze crucial for your well-being but skin can recover from the long day as well. It is while you are sleeping that your skin replenishes and restores itself. It can take a break from everything and just breath.

With this being said…

Step 2: WASH YOUR FACE EVERY NIGHT

In order for your skin to replenish and restore during sleep you need to let your skin breath. What I mean by this is you must wash your face. By washing your face you get all the dirt, makeup, and oil that has built up in your pores throughout the day. When you don’t wash your face, you are leaving all the dirt, oil, and makeup in your pores causing your pores to get blocked which leads to acne! Yikes!

You don’t have to go and buy the most expensive face cleansers and washes either. Before buying your face wash, you, first need to figure out what type of skin you have. For example, if you have really oily skin, you’ll want to get a wash that says, “for oily skin” on it. It doesn’t help if you buy face wash meant for extremely dry skin when you have oily skin. That would probably make your skin worse. So make sure you figure out your skin type and then find a face wash that fits you.

I personally use Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, it’s cheap and it is highly recommended by dermatologists! You can buy it at any local drug store.

Step 3: MOISTURIZE YOUR FACE

Along with washing your face, it is also very important to keep your face moisturized while you sleep, so you can help your face restore itself. By not moisturizing your skin, you could help cause your skin to become dull and flaky, develop wrinkles faster, and believe or not, cause your acne to aggravate. Moisturizing helps your skin stay looking young!! Who doesn’t want to look younger? I have been moisturizing my skin since I was in middle school and now people think I am 16 years old. I am actually 21…lol. My point is, my skin looks young! Which will help me in the long run, aka, when I am 50 and people think I am in my 40’s.

I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for Normal to Dry Skin. Let me tell you, I love this stuff! You would think that it is a heavy and thick moisturizer but it is light and dries quickly! I use it at night and in the morning! My dermatologist recommended it to me and I have been in love ever since.

Step 4: DRINK LOTS OF WATER

You must keep your skin hydrated at all times. When you are sleeping, you have a moisturizer but what do you do when you are running around all day? DRINK WATER! It is recommended to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Not only does this help keep your body hydrated but it also helps keep your skin hydrated. It also helps with your complexion by helping your skin become softer and smoother, reducing redness, and if you have wrinkles already, it will help them appear smaller. So any easy way to do this, is to just carry a water bottle around with you throughout the day. You can keep it in your purse or in your bookbag!

Like always, if you feel like your skin has gotten worse or hasn’t made improvements then it is recommended to go see a dermatologist. From there, they will help you figure out what the best skincare routine is for you! In the meantime, I hope these four easy steps help you and your skin! Good luck!