This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Living in a dorm might be part of a typical college experience for many students, but it can be difficult to make the space feel like a home, especially when you’re living with a roommate. But there are still many ways to make your dorm feel like a cozy, safe space, even on a budget.

1.Loft your bed to maximize space underneath.

Raising your bed to accommodate for a desk or storage bins underneath allows the room to appear bigger and more open. Putting a couch or futon under a lofted bed also creates more seating for friends who to come visit your new place.

2.Use over-the-door storage.

A hanging shelf or shoe rack hung over your door frees up drawer and shelf space for essential, while still keeping all of your smaller necessities well-organized. This is a great place to store beauty tools, toiletries and accessories for easy access.

3.Let your furniture work as storage.

Storage can be hard to come by in dorms, and many rooms come with furniture already set up, limiting your options for personalized space. Picking ottomans or chairs that double as extra space can keep your room organized and clean, while also providing more seating options and increasing that “homey” feel.

4.Keep wall decorations minimal.

While adorning your walls with posters or personal pictures can help you feel more settled in at school, plastering too many decorations on your walls can make the room feel smaller and slightly suffocating. Leaving one wall blank or barely decorated keeps your room from feeling too messy or claustrophobic. Attending a school poster sale or creating your own unique artwork is great way to add a personal touch to your dorm without breaking the bank.

5.Use warm lights to make your space feel cozy.

Yards of twinkle lights and orange or pink salt lamps give off soft light and can make your dorm feel like a safe, comfortable place. These help to offset the harsh overhead dorm lights  and bring a calming effect to your haven away from home.

Whether or not you live in a dorm room this year, you can personalize your home away from home to make it a place of security, comfort and warmth. Happy decorating!

My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.