College Organization: How to Keep Your Head Handling Multiple Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Getting ready to step out of high school and into college life? Wondering how you can handle a new semester without having a mental breakdown? The best way to do handle five to six classes a week is organization! As a senior, I’ve learned the best ways to help keep your head from feeling like it’s gonna explode from all the deadlines and dates.

First, print your class schedule and your class syllabus if your professor posts it online or emails it to you. Label your notebooks, folders and binders by class and write down each course number and section number as well. Professors may teach multiple sections of the same class; writing down your section number helps you know which section you’re in.

Certain classes may require you to have a textbook or multiple textbooks for the semester. The best way to make sure you know what you need is check your syllabus or email your professor if your class requires a textbook. Once you have your answer, it’s best to check online first to see if you can either rent your textbook or buy it cheaper than at your university bookstore, like on Amazon or Cengage. Doing this helps you avoid paying more for your textbook and skip mix-ups or long lines at the school bookstore.

Now that you’ve labeled your notebooks and got your textbooks, the next step is buying a planner. Having a planner is crucial in you keeping up with your assignments and what you need to prepare for your next class. I recommend having a day planner that gives you enough space to write down your class assignments for the day so you don’t have to squeeze everything into one little box. Always keep your planner in your backpack or bag so you won’t forget that you have a test in biology class on Friday or that you have a 4-page book report on The Taming of the Shrew for your Shakespeare class next week. I hope these organization tips help you prepare for the semester and keep you from becoming too overwhelmed this school year!

I’m a graduate from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and I’m an aspiring writer. I’m a total Dominirican (Dominican/Puerto Rican) nerd that loves books, video games and Japanese anime. I aspire to write my own book and be a published author.