diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Relationship is the One With Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

“The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself.” –Diane Von Furstenberg

Having a significant other can be great. However, in order to have a solid, healthy relationship with another person, you need to have a solid sense of self. People may come and go out of your life but your relationship with yourself is a constant. It’s important to accept who you are, no matter what flaws you may have, and know that you can be all that you need. It seems intuitive for people to know and love themselves, but it’s often a struggle. It’s a process that adjusts as you grow and develop as an individual. If you’re not sure where to start on this journey, here are a few tips on how to get started:

Don’t Be So Critical

It’s easy to be your own worst enemy. No one is as critical of you as yourself. Sometimes taking a look at your thoughts or statements about yourself can uncover some negative thinking. Ridding yourself of that type of energy can be freeing. You aren’t perfect, but no one is. However, allowing encouraging and positive thinking can really change the way you see yourself.

Take Care Of Yourself

Ever notice how great you feel when you buy a new outfit, being well rested, or when you successfully follow a recipe you’ve been meaning to try from Pinterest? Whether you realize it or not, that’s part of self care. Do something that makes you feel good. Whether it’s getting up and going to a yoga class, getting a manicure or just taking a walk on a nice day, taking time to put yourself first is essential for your mental health.

Choose Happiness

Sometimes our happiness can be dependent on other people which can be strenuous and disappointing. Realizing that no one is responsible for your happiness but yourself can prevent you from seeking it through someone else. Make some changes to your life and push yourself to accomplish some things you didn’t think you were capable of. Find contentment in achieving your own goals and know that you can be in control of your own emotions and behavior.

Boost Your Confidence

Feeling uncomfortable about yourself, whether it be in your appearance or how you interact with other people, leads to problems with your self-esteem and confidence. When you think about it, people aren’t born insecure, constantly worrying about others think about or see in them. Throughout time, you started to doubt yourself. Regaining that sense of self assuredness allows you to acquire a new perspective as to who you are and what you’re capable of. You’re an amazing person, allow yourself to see that and others will take notice.

Stop Comparing

Social media makes it super easy to see what people you know are up to at all times. Keeping up with friends and acquaintances can be fun, but the downside is that you could subconsciously be comparing yourself to these other people. This a destructive habit which can make you feel as if you don’t measure up and that you’re missing out on life. Instead, reflect introspectively. Think about what you’ve accomplished over the last few months or since last year. Celebrate your own progress and if you still think you have room for improvement, set some attainable goals.

Remember ladies, this doesn’t mean that the other relationships in your life aren’t important. You’ll be enhancing your existing and future friendships and partnerships by establishing and strengthening your relationship with yourself. Here’s to becoming the best version of yourself and loving who you are.