This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Whether it’s the chaotic political climate, a first date, or that exam you have next period, we all have something to stress about. To escape the stress of everyday life, activities like listening to music or reading a good book usually help clear the mind, but now there is a new medium on the horizon: spoken word poetry. While spoken word, or slam, poetry has been around for years, the new generation of young, empowered individuals in today’s society has adopted it as a way to cope with the stressful situations of life. The poets below touch on heavy issues like gender, sexuality, and social justice, while still being witty and relatable.

1. Olivia Gatwood – Currently living in Boston, Olivia Gatwood is from New Mexico and works as not only a poet but also an educator. She has previously been recognized at Brave New Voices, Women of the World, and the National Poetry Slam for her bold poems that tackle the many issues women face while growing up: such as navigating puberty. Some of her most famous poems include “Ode to My Bitch Face” and “Manic Pixie Dream Girl.” Her new book New American Best Friend is now available for purchase.

2. Sarah Kay – A native New Yorker, Sarah Kay is a highly accomplished poet, having performed at Carnegie Hall, the United Nations, the Tribeca Film Festival, and the Apollo Theater. Kay has also written four books of poetry: B, No Matter the Wreckage, The Type, and All Our Wild Wonder. One of her most well-known poems, entitled “If I Should Have a Daughter,” was performed at a TED talk in March 2011.

3. Andrea Gibson – Focusing primarily on topics involving the LGBTQ+ community, Andrea Gibson delivers heartbreakingly beautiful love poems that perfectly encompass the messy realities of falling in and out of love. Her poems are set and performed to music, making the experience even more impactful. Andrea is originally from Maine but now lives in Colorado as a poet and activist. Her new book Take Me With You is out now.

4. Rupi Kaur – While she is most known for her written collections of poems, Rupi Kaur has also spent some time on the stage delivering powerful spoken word performances on topics such as learning to love yourself first and how to recover from past harmful relationships that leave deep scars. Her poem “I’m Taking My Body Back,” which was delivered at a TED talk describes having to rediscover feeling at home in your own body after going through a traumatic event. Rupi’s poems radiate the beauty and fierceness of femininity with every word.

5. Kate Tempest – Kate Tempest is an English poet, playwright, musician and novelist, named Next Generation Poet by the Poetry Society in 2014. Many of her poems are accompanied by music and offer realist perspectives on the state of the economy, global crises and international politics. The angsty, punk rock feel of her poems is a great stress-reliever and seems to accurately express the thoughts of many young people in society. Her new album and accompanying book, Let Them Eat Chaos, is out now.

Whether you’re feeling overwhelmed by the stress of life, need to relieve some pent-up anger, or just want something to pass the time before your next class, try listening to some powerful spoken word poems by some truly amazing women.

My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.