This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

With the recent events of the school shooting in Florida, it’s hard for me not to say anything. Those who have me on any outlet of social media know that I do not post anything political, and I definitely don’t like to get involved in a debate, but this is something we can’t not talk about.

I’ve seen a lot of posts on social media of others stating their opinions. One thing is for certain; everyone wants change in one aspect or another, whether that be gun control, childhood upbringings/parental control of troubled youth, or conversations about mental health. Here is what I think:

Mental health will never go away. Until the end of time, society will be made up of individuals who suffer from mild to extremely severe cases of mental illness. We see anxiety, depression, and various other forms of mental illness on many levels. I myself live with a mild case of generalized anxiety. The point is: we will continue to interact with those who fight an internal fight; 24/7, 365 days a year.

Yes, I do agree that a collective effort on behalf of parents across the nation to protect their children is needed. Parents need to be aware at all times of the state of their child’s mental health, their social life, and their digital footprints they are leaving behind (social media posts, comments, and interactions for example). But even if you think of yourself to be the perfect parent, knowing the ins and outs of your children’s lives, isn’t there still a chance for them to be mentally unstable?

Essentially, I believe that regardless of a child’s upbringing, if they suffer from mental illness, under our current laws, they still have he same opportunities as anybody else to access firearms.

In no way am I politically educated enough to debate gun control/reform, nor am I familiar enough with current research on mental health to strongly assert a fact-based opinion. What I do know for a FACT is that I’m sick to my stomach over what has been taking place in our country. As a young person, I shouldn’t be this terrified to attend concerts, go to the movies, or even go to school. I also know that something needs to change, but what?

I’m so heartbroken for those involved in yesterday’s events. I would never in a million years imagine something like this happening to me or someone I know, yet it’s becoming a very realistic possibility. Please hug your loved ones so tight. You really just never know.

Alexa Bernard -Sophomore at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte -Athlete, puppy enthusiast, lover of all places warm and sunny (preferably with a beach) -Sepsis survivor -Follow my Insta: alexa_marie11