This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

It’s that time when everyone is making attempts to enter the new year as a changed person. The biggest pattern of 2022 includes me waiting for things to get easier and waiting for my time to free up to enjoy fun things. However, now going into my second semester of medical school, I am realizing that things will be getting harder, and I am just going to get busier. Therefore, I have made a vow to myself to appreciate the little things that make me happy. 

I recently saw a tweet where the author urged everyone to picture themselves in a Studio Ghibli movie, and that’s when I had it. It’s time to romanticize every part of my daily life. I feel like mainstream social media continues to promote “hustle culture” and the thought that you must be constantly productive to achieve your dream life. However, the concept of romanticizing your life challenges this idea, as it encourages people to embrace the silent moments and the mundane. 

There is a misconception that romanticizing your life is equal to living an extravagant lifestyle. The truth is that romanticization is all about falling in love with what makes you happy and finding comfort in the things in the life you already have. This article is the perfect starter kit for your journey of romanticizing your life.

Embracing the main character mindset

I believe embracing the role of the main character and romanticizing your life go hand in hand. Main characters can naturally attract and fascinate people because of their positive energy, their optimistic outlook on life and their ability to “seize the day.” There are three things that main characters know:

1. You may not be able to always control what happens, but you can control how to frame the situation. For example, does life suck because of one day, or is it just a small bump in your narrative?
  2. When 12 a.m. hits, it’s a new beginning. Things might not go as planned yesterday, but the morning is an opportunity to start fresh and try again.
  3. Your life path is not linear. It is okay to be experiencing tough times. These situations can be learning moments and help you grow. What truly defines you is how you approach them.

How to become a main character

Now you know what a main character is and how they think, how can you actually become one? Here are a few tips from me!

1. Focus on your story. Everyone is their own main character and you are the only one who is in complete control over your own.  
  2. Be your own protagonist. Thinking realistically, what can you do today to make yourself 0.01% happier? 
  3. Challenge yourself. I know it can be scary to step out of your comfort zone, but a lot of the time the scariest things can help us grow the most. 

Love your routine

For me, routines set the tone for what that day will look like. I feel like routines can make mundane tasks be an experience rather than something you just do. The important thing is to allow the small things to make you feel like your best. For example, when I go grocery shopping, I always put on a cute outfit and listen to my favorite playlist. When I get ready in the morning, I start playing music right as I get out of bed. Are you making dinner? Turn on your vinyl player and put your favorite record on. 

Some starting actions

1. One practice that I started partaking in this year includes the idea of dating myself.  Keeping you in mind may seem selfish,  but I think self-love is crucial. It can be a small gesture like buying yourself flowers every month, taking yourself out on solo dates or just treating yourself to something you’ve been wanting for a while. The key to dating yourself is to find the limit where it still feels like a special occasion.
  2. Get some fresh air. This past year I realized that going outside and feeling the sunlight on my skin did wonders for my anxiety and stress. I try to dedicate some time out of my day to enjoy the outside air, whether it’s walking to school or opening the windows in my apartment. 
  3. Uplift your mornings. One of my most toxic traits includes waking up early and staying in bed for an hour or two. At that point, what’s the purpose of the alarm clock? So, the fix for this includes creating a serotonin-boosting playlist specifically for getting out of bed and getting ready. 
  4. Try something new. This refers back to stepping outside your comfort zone and challenging yourself. Trying something new can entail a new hobby, class or restaurant. Experiencing things for the first time can feel exciting and rewarding.
  5. Schedule self-care days. Resetting and recharging look different for everyone, but I would choose one day out of the week when you spend some time giving yourself a break. Use this time to not think about anything else, and try to do things that make you feel happy and fulfilled. I personally use Sundays as my recharge days where I drink some wine and do some cooking and cleaning.

Remember, that you are already the main character in your life and there is no right or wrong way to romanticize it. A huge part of romanticization is learning to be gracious, and love the life you already have and everything in it. Do things that make you fall in love with your routine and hopefully ease stress in ways that are authentic to you. 

Ria Dave

UMKC '26

Ria is a 4th yr BA/MD (MS2) medical student at the University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Medicine. She is currently one of the Campus Co-Correspondents for Her Campus at UMKC. When she is not writing for Her Campus, you can find her visiting new coffee shops, online window shopping, and collecting vinyl records. She finds comfort in rewatching Legally Blonde, watching k-dramas and painting her nails.