Places to Enjoy Nature in Kansas City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Hello, my fellow Kansas Citians and maybe a couple of out-of-staters. It is time, time to enjoy the fresh air of summer! I know I was going crazy inside my house all winter but it is finally time to break out the shorts. These are a couple of my favorite spots in KC where you can just go and enjoy the nice weather and our beautiful city.

The Overland Park Arboretum

This is honestly one of my favorite places! It’s a great place to take pictures next to the many waterfalls or you could just put your phone away while exploring some of the many trails that they have. I personally enjoy the International Sculpture Garden Trail, which takes you through a forest but is lined with a bunch of unique art & sculptures.

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

If you have been to the Nelson, you know what the hype is all about. Nothing can beat a day spent here, there is so much to see and I don’t think it is possible to run through it all in just one day. The glass maze and the infamous shuttlecocks are now synonymous with anything KC. If you have a little more time, the lawn is a great place for a picnic.

The River Market

The River Market is perfect for an early weekend morning. I suggest parking at the beautiful Union Station and taking our snazzy new streetcar to the River Market. Explore the different cuisine and maybe buy some of those gorgeous flowers. The River Market will always be the cutest little place to just hang out and see some of what KC has to offer.

The Kauffman Memorial Gardens

Right down the street from the Nelson, the Kauffman Memorial Gardens are always pristine. Open dawn to dusk with what seems to be a never-ending supply of blooming flowers, it is the perfect place to just relax and enjoy the hot KC summers. Watching the sunset while sitting on the benches here is a great way to end the day and the perfect way to start off a summer night.

Powell Gardens

It’s a long drive to the Powell Gardens but it’s totally worth it. Definitely wait to visit this one until August, however. In August, they have the annual Festival of Butterflies. The Festival is full of butterflies (of course) but it’s also the perfect opportunity to explore the grounds! My family and I try to visit Powell Gardens every year during the festival and it never disappoints.

Keep an eye out for me this summer at any of these places or just around the town. Kansas City has a ton more to offer than what I included on the list so go and explore. Remember to stay hydrated this summer in the hot Kansas City heat!

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.