This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Can you guess what Jennifer Aniston and Thomas Edison have in common? What about Lady Gaga and Marie Curie? Or Thomas Edison and Oprah? In addition to experiencing fame, all of these individuals own a diary.

Journaling is a popular activity and is associated with many benefits. According to the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences, daily journaling can boost your mental health, improve your physical state, guide you in achieving your goals and more. In my experience, the most difficult step of journaling is the beginning, which is why I often utilize prompts. Whenever I do not know what to write about, journal prompts provide me with a topic. As opposed to writing whatever comes to mind, prompts help me evaluate my mental and emotional processes and explore aspects of my life.

Below are prompts that I frequently utilize:

1. Prompts for anxiety

“What thoughts are going through your head right now? Write them, and read them once you’ve written enough. Ask yourself if you have solid proof that these thoughts are true. If not, cross the thought out.”

“Think of a time when you were anxious, but the situation went better than expected. What did you learn from that experience?”

“List the best-case scenario that could happen based on your anxiety. Is it as likely as the worst-case scenario? How would you feel if things fell somewhere in the middle?”

Wellness Coach, Author, and Health Educator Elizabeth Scott encourages anxious writers to write about stressful events for fifteen minutes. Re-read the entry and challenge your thoughts to reduce anxiety. How likely will your fear occur? Could it be a neutral or positive experience? Could you create a better outcome?

2. Prompts for Depression

Psychologist Roberta Ballard and therapist Tracy Pryce recommend the five following prompts as a starting point to combat depression”

“Five reasons my inner critic needs to quiet down.”

“What times of the year do I feel my best? When do I feel my worst? What is the pattern?”

“What steps should I take to ease my depression? What has previously worked?”

“What do I need more of in my life? How could I take steps toward that?”

“Give specific examples of when you have demonstrated resilience.”

3. Prompts for Gratitude

“At the end of the day, write down three things for which you are thankful.”

“What is something that I am grateful I learned? Consider a lesson or concept you’ve acquired (big or small). It could be a piece of wisdom from a friend or acquaintance, a skill from a class, or a lesson from a personal experience.”

I love these prompts and try to include them in my daily journaling ritual. No matter how gloomy my day is, the first prompt encourages me to be grateful for aspects of my day. I also scrutinize my actions and words frequently, so the second prompt allows me to be easy on myself because my regrets teach me valuable lessons.

4. Prompts for Healing

“What are some important milestones on your healing journey so far?”

“Where do you want to be on your healing journey in one month? One year?”

“Make a list of small or unexpected things that have been helpful during your healing journey.”

Consistently journaling about emotional, physical or mental hardships helps us process our experiences by analyzing and writing thoughts on paper. It also lets us track progress.

5. Prompts for Creativity

Instead of prompts, I primarily doodle or tape photographs in my diary to express my creativity. But occasionally, I will utilize the two prompts below to expand my imagination and become a better storyteller.

“The next time you are out, pay attention to the people working in stores or restaurants. Write an imagined life for one of them.”

“Write about a treasured memory and what makes it so special.”

If you found any of these prompts helpful, consider visiting this website. It offers 100 reflective prompts. 

I find writing in a diary to be a thought-provoking, meaningful practice. Whether you draw, jot down thoughts or use a prompt, dedicate a few minutes every day to journaling.

Kiran Deol (she/her) is a writer for Her Campus and a freshman at the University of Missouri - Kansas City. She has yet to commit to a major. In addition to being a student, Deol is a part-time waitress and consumer of books, movies, TV shows, and music. She finds comfort in painting, road trips, young adult novels, and her family.