My Biggest Goal for 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As with every new year, people commonly make resolutions to change their lives in some way. This year, I wanted to make a lasting change. Instead of picking something that would give me temporary satisfaction, I really wanted to incorporate a change of mindset. As someone that has suffered from depression and anxiety, I would often dwell on the past or fear the future. This year, I want to make a conscious effort to live in the present. 

By living in the present, I need to accept that I cannot change the past. I also need to understand that I shouldn’t be worrying about things, like board exams, that are years away. The only important moment is the present; choosing to live or think about a different time only robs you of enjoying today. Now, I know this may seem like a very hard mindset to get yourself out of, so I have included some of the changes that I will be implementing in order to help me achieve this goal!

Smile and be optimistic.

It’s easier said than done, believe me. However, each day is full of possibilities and it’s important to face them with a smile. You can’t control the world around you, but you have full control of your own attitude. It’s important to pick a positive one, and eventually I hope that this will turn into a habit instead of a conscious decision that I have to wake up and make. 

Forgive the past, dream of the future, work hard today. 

Harboring hurt or anger will only cause you more pain. Allowing yourself to forgive others will let you release the burdens you’ve been carrying with you. Don’t allow someone else’s actions or words impact your current life! Let go! Choose the present instead. On the other side of things, allow yourself to dream big. The world is your oyster. However, I’ve fallen into the trap of dreaming to the point where it stresses me out. It’s important to take a step back and ground yourself. Instead of overwhelming yourself with all the goals you have, try to see what you can do right now to help you get there.

Put an end to worrying.

Worrying will only cloud the present. If your mind is focused on worrying, there’s not much room for anything else. Also, when has worrying ever been helpful? No matter how much you worry about tomorrow, it’s still going to come. Instead, try to redirect your energy elsewhere. If you focus on how you can prepare tomorrow rather than all the bad things that can happen, you’ll be much more ready to face what’s thrown at you. 

I don’t remember the last time one of my resolutions was based on fixing my mindset. Nonetheless, I’ve been trying to implement these tips on living in the present into my life and will continue to do so. I hope that I’ve in some way inspired you to do the same. 

Maya is a 5th Year Medical Student at UMKC. Even though she is working towards a very STEM orientated major, Maya enjoys using writing as a creative outlet. When Maya isn't studying, she enjoys writing (duh), soccer, music, and shopping.
Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.