a mosque architecture buildings 2236674jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
a mosque architecture buildings 2236674jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

Making the Most of Your Ramadan as a Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone! Now that Ramadan has officially started, I thought it would be a good time to share some tips to keep you on top of your game. Juggling school and religion can be hard, especially with finals season coming up. Balancing all your responsibilities at once can be intimidating, but with these three tips I’m about to share, it shouldn’t be hard to start some healthy habits that can help you make the most out of this blessed month.

Plan Out Your Sleep Schedule

This tip is definitely easier said than done; however, it is an essential step in making sure you’re not tired when waking up for suhoor and studying throughout the day. Making a routine of waking up at the same time every day can get you used to the harsh changes in sleep times that Ramadan can bring. Once you start waking up at the same time, it’ll be easier to fall asleep at the same time. Before you know it, you’ll have mastered your sleeping schedule. Since I have morning classes this Ramadan, I decided to wake up around 4:30 a.m. for suhoor and stay awake all day, hoping to fall asleep around 9:30 p.m.. It’s been a bit of a struggle so far, but I think I’m finally starting to get the hang of it.

Set Time for Yourself and Your Goals

It’s important that, despite your busy schedule, you set time for yourself to just focus on some Ramadan goals. Whether it’s 30 minutes or 2 hours a day, you can use that time to make dua, pray or read the Quran. It can be hard to decide when to shut off school mode and practice any of these things, but having a set time every day for when you do can help you make a habit of it. 

Quick Tip: Try reading Quran from Fajr to sunrise or between prayers, like Maghrib and Isha. If you have trouble with setting hard deadlines for when to start or finish something on your own, prayer times can be a really great anchor!

Meal Prep

In my opinion, this is a very important tip for Ramadan. Planning your suhoor and iftar meals beforehand can help lift the stress and wasted time used to make a decision on what to eat. Whether you choose to actually prepare food at night for suhoor or even just plan out what you want to eat in your head before you go to sleep, doing this can help you save a few more minutes before you need to start your fast in the morning. 

Quick Tip: If you live on campus, check if the dining hall has altered times for Ramadan. If not, try to go in between classes and grab a to-go box of food so you have your meals for when it’s time to eat. 

Ramadan is all about becoming a better Muslim, but it can be a little tricky when life gets busy. The most important thing about each of these tips is to really tailor them to your own schedule. Whatever your sleep schedule or spiritual time ends up looking like, try to stick to a consistent and sustainable pattern for you!

Samiya is a medical student at UMKC. She loves exploring new coffee shops, trying out new beauty trends, and is a sucker for all things wellness!