Style > Beauty

Living The Lush Life: Reasons Why You Should Shop at Lush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I’ll admit, it is pretty overwhelming to walk into a Lush store for the first time since there’s so much to take in. However, between the colorful array of bath bombs and the amazing smell drifting throughout the store, it is understandable why everyone raves about Lush. Furthermore, despite being a luxury brand, their prices are pretty affordable. Still not convinced? Here are five reasons why you should shop at Lush:

1. Their Employees

Lush’s staff are highly knowledgeable and friendly. When I walked into Lush for the first time, I was immediately greeted with friendly smiles and questions about my skin type. They really do care about making sure you actually love the products you’re planning to buy. They even allow you to try out their face masks or watch a live demonstration of a bath bomb in water to decide if you like the product. If you are unsure if you should get a product, you can ask them to give you a sample of it so that you can try it out at home before you whip out your wallet to pay for a full-sized pot. Their employees make it easier for you to purchase items that are suitable for your skin type, ensuring that you are able to unwind and treat yourself to some self-care after a long day.

2. Against Animal Testing

Lush has always been a strong advocate against animal testing, so you can rest assured knowing that animals are not being mistreated in the process of creating Lush products. In addition, all of their products are vegetarian, with most of them being vegan. Although some countries have regulations restricting animal testing for cosmetics, the problem is still pertinent in some countries. To raise awareness, Lush recently altered their ‘New’ Shampoo Bar to include a wooden stick featuring the hashtag #BeCrueltyFree in both English and Chinese. This was a bold move and is truly a testament to the lengths they will go to advocate against animal testing.

3. Support Grassroots Charities

A product described by Lush as a “philanthropic skin softener,” many have labeled this product as a cult favorite. Charity Pot Hand and Body Lotion donates one hundred percent of the price (minus taxes) to small grassroots working in the areas of environmental conservation, animal welfare and human rights. A great plus is that it actually smells amazing and is affordable at $7.95 for the 1.7 oz pot. Having smooth skin never felt so good.

4. Reduced Packaging

Currently, 35 percent of Lush’s products are sold naked. These products include shampoo bars, solid conditioners and soaps. By purchasing one of Lush’s naked products, you are helping to reduce waste generated! Some of my favorite naked Lush products include ‘Jason And the Argan Oil’ Shampoo Bar and ‘The Experimenter’ Bath Bomb. However, if you prefer using their packaged products, all of their packagings are recycled, recyclable, reusable or compostable. Furthermore, if you bring back five clean black Lush pots, you will be able to get a free fresh face mask. So, you can rest assured knowing that the products you purchase do not contribute to environmental waste generated.

5. Positive Social Change

Not only does Lush create some of the best skincare products in the world, but they also host a variety of national campaigns to raise awareness and stimulate important conversations across America and the world. In 2016, they launched a limited-edition bath bomb called the ‘Great Bear’ Bath Bomb. One hundred percent of the sales proceeds went to the Grizzly Grants fund, which spreads funds between the various organizations that protect grizzly bears in the US. Other examples of limited-edition products Lush had created in the past include the ‘Shark Fin’ Soap to raise funds to save sharks and the earth, the ‘Inner Truth’ Bath Melt to raise funds for organizations working for transgender rights and the ‘Error 404’ Bath Bomb to fight against internet shutdowns.

I hope at least one of the reasons listed above convinced you to give Lush a shot. If you want to learn more or explore the various products that are sold at Lush, do explore their website. The website provides information about their products in great detail and there’s even a section where you can read reviews of a specific product, which will definitely help you when you’re debating about getting that pot of Sleepy Body Lotion.

Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.