Anna Schultz-Friends Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

Keeping Your Cool This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Ah yes, some could say it’s officially the most wonderful time of the year (for me, the holiday season started November 1). That being said, it could also be deemed the most stressful time of the year. Trying to manage your budget, find the perfect gifts, study for finals or cram in extra hours at work, it all can pile up on your shoulders. It’s imperative to your health (both physical and mental) that you prioritize time to gift yourself some care and love. I will say, it’s imperative we take care of our own wellbeing all year long, but in times of high stress, this serves as a friendly reminder. 

For many people, the holiday season involves quite a lot of family time and while that may be nice and jolly for numerous people, that’s not a universal case. Perhaps there’s a family member or two that brings about too many unpleasant or negative feelings. When dealing with those people, it is okay to draw boundaries to protect yourself and your resources. This could be limiting conversation or walking away when talking feels like too much. Drawing boundaries doesn’t always mean you have to completely cut someone off, but it can potentially resort to that if said person is causing you serious distress.

If you’re a student, before you can enjoy the fun and festivities, you’ll most likely be taking final exams. Planning out designated time to study (and sticking to these plans) for each class, and time to rest and relax, will give you the structure and resources to succeed. Be mindful of academic areas where you may need some extra help to prepare for finals. Despite the occasional stigma, there is absolutely no shame or embarrassment in getting help. Talking with professors during their office hours or even creating a study group with other students in your class are effective ways to better your studying. Planning all of this a couple weeks in advance will spare you the heart palpitations and headache of scrambling to study everything the night before your final. If you fall victim to procrastination, ask friends to hold you accountable or treat yourself to some incentives to motivate you to study on time.

The colder months are notorious for the cold and flu symptoms flying around. Not only that, but if your body is under a lot of stress, it’s more susceptible to getting sick. Have your immune system’s back: eat hearty meals (no, iced coffee is not a meal), keep yourself hydrated, get in some physical activity and, most importantly, rest. Rest is so healing and much needed for our bodies. Make space for down time, whether that be watching TV, cooking, reading, writing, etc. Creative and relaxing activities add to our wellbeing. And last, but not least, sleep. I’m no doctor, but I’m fairly certain sleep is critical to helping our bodies and brains function properly. It’ll also make you less cranky. Be sure to take your essential vitamins (vitamin D is great for these darker months), and take the proper medication to aid any troublesome symptoms. 

Be strict with yourself when it comes to self-care and survival these next couple of months. Chronic, long-term stress is detrimental to our health. These tips may seem silly, irrational or unnecessary, but putting in the time to take care of you and all your needs will help you to feel much more at ease and happy. You deserve to have an enjoyable and memorable holiday season.

Lily is currently in her fourth semester at UMKC's in their Masters in Counseling program. Whenever she can be with friends she is, when she's not she enjoys reading and doing yoga. Lily has a passion for human rights, mental health, pop-culture and writing.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.