This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Earlier this year, many people were forced to start new routines or adopt permanent changes in their schedule due to the current situation we started to face. Aside from school, I have been fortunate enough to not have any dramatic life changes. Between then and today, however, I have started some new routines that I did not envision myself starting at the beginning of this year. 

During the early months of quarantine, I started journaling. I know a few people who do this regularly and I honestly didn’t think this was something I would stick to. I am happy to say I am about six months strong and still going. There have been days I missed because I forgot or I was just too busy, but I try to write something for most days. At first I would just write in little comments about my day or any events that happened, but it was kind of repetitive and boring. Now I also include funny things I heard from that day or just memorable things I hear other people say. If you are thinking about getting into journaling, I would say at least give it a try. It helps remind me to be thankful for little things and moments. 

This actually happened recently, but I gave in to drinking coffee. I’m not in too deep yet, don’t worry. I have yet to try straight black coffee or like decaf, so I still have a ways to go in this journey, but this was a big change for me. I tried a new coffee shop with a friend and somehow got convinced to try a pumpkin pie latte. I’m in love with pumpkin pie, so I thought, “How could I resist?” Needless to say, it was so good, and a few days later, I indulged myself in another iced latte. 

With the closure of gyms, I have started to make the outdoors my best friend. I have always enjoyed taking walks, but I just spend more time doing other things outside now. This includes eating, picnics and working out. I think it’s safe to say that I have close to a lifetime’s worth of vitamin D. I’m not sure what it is, but there’s just something about going outdoors that’s stress relieving and it feels good. Of course, with winter approaching, it will likely be hard to spend lots of time outdoors, but even going out to get a glimpse of the fall colored leaves or snow may be enough to change your mood. 

I am enjoying these new lifestyle changes and if you feel inspired, I hope you’ll try some too. This year has brought us all some new changes in one way or another, but no matter what, it’s important to try to make the best out of some of them. 

I am a third year student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City medical program. When I am not starting a new TV show, I enjoy looking at new recipes, taking pictures, and laughing with other people.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.