Style > Beauty

I Tried the Ordinary’s Peeling Solution and Here’s What I Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you have been on social media explore pages recently, you may have stumbled across the brand The Ordinary. People seem to be raving about it for two main reasons. First, The Ordinary is completely transparent about the ingredients in their products. They are known for not using harsh fragrances, essential oils, parabens, sulfates, etc. Second, they are extremely affordable. Most of their product price points range from $5 to $8. Since they spend very little on advertising, they are able to offer their products for less than their competitors would. So I decided to try their most popular product: The AHA 30% + BHA 2%  Peeling Solution. 

The first time I used this solution, I had just gotten over a few bad blemishes on my forehead and around my mouth. When I put it on, I noticed a tingling sensation. This is because the solution is mostly made out of alpha and beta hydroxy acids. These acids specialize in removing dead skin and creating an overall softer look and feel to the skin. And after a few uses, I saw a dramatic reduction of red spots on my face and better overall skin texture. It honestly felt like I went and got a facial. 

However, there are a few things to note about this peeling solution and The Ordinary as a whole. Since the brand is very straight-forward about the ingredients they use, it can be confusing to know how each product is going to benefit your skin. I had to research to know the benefits of AHA and BHA. As a result, this brand may not be the best for those who are new to skincare. It can also be potentially dangerous to those who use the products without knowing their purpose. For this particular solution, irritation can occur if left on for more than 10 minutes or used more than twice weekly, due to its low pH of 3.6. 

So… Is it worth the hype? 

Absolutely. After just a few uses, my skin had little to no red spots and was the softest I’d ever felt it. For $7.20, it is one of my new favorite products. Another perk of The Ordinary’s products is that they come in glass rather than plastic to help reduce their environmental impact. Overall, it is a great product. You just have to be willing to do the research on each product to know exactly how it can benefit your skin.

Jessie is currently a sophomore at The University of Missouri Kansas City studying Biology and Chemistry in hopes to do research on infectious diseases. As apart of the events team, she hopes to spark strong bonds and lasting friendships among the women in Her campus. In her free time, she enjoys going to Target (especially when she doesn't actually need anything) and binge-watching the latest Netflix originals.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.