This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In the year 2017, 140 human trafficking cases were reported in the state of Missouri alone and nearly 8,800 cases in the United States. Other countries have even higher numbers including Russia, China and other Middle Eastern territories.  Human trafficking is essentially the illegal transportation of people for the purpose of human labor or sexual encounters through the sickening use of violence and deception. This form of slavery affects men, women and children across the world.

Who are perpetrators aiming for?

Although victims can be a wide range of demographics that include differences in age, race, socioeconomic status and education level, traffickers are more likely to recruit individuals with certain situations and vulnerabilities. Here are a few risk factors for victims of human trafficking:

• Young Runaways

• Homeless Population

• Foreign Nationals

• Victims of Violence & Trauma

• Victims of Discrimination

• Anybody in Need of Shelter or Basic Necessities

Traffickers will act as a friend, significant other or someone you can trust, but will use disgusting lies and manipulation to convince victims of new, lasting, high-paying opportunities. The futures for these victims are deceiving and often end in poor physical and mental health conditions.

These criminals can be pimps, small business owners & managers, gang networks or individuals working on their own.

Victims of human trafficking are often very difficult to recognize but here are some signs to look for:

• Not Free to go Places He/She Wishes

• Unpaid or Paid Through Tips

• Fearful, Anxious, or Submissive Behavior

• Avoids Eye Contact

• Lacks Medical Care or Appears Malnourished

• Few Personal Possessions

• Not in Control of His/Her Identification Documents

• Lost Sense of Time

• Inconsistencies in His/Her Story

These are just a few of the many signs or indications of a person involved in human trafficking. Recognizing these signs can lead to lives being saved, so be observant and speak up if you see anything,

The hotline for human trafficking is (888) 373-7888. This number is available seven days a week and 24 hours a day.

There have also been multiple cases being reported that young women`s cars are being marked with chalk, or young women are being followed on major highways to be pulled into human trafficking and sexual slavery. Always be aware of your surroundings, and have police as well as other resources on speed dial. Also, buy mace or pepper spray to keep with you at all times!

“People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used.” – Unknown

Hannah is currently a sophomore at UMKC, majoring in Pre-Pharmacy. She is a feminist & a Jesus Lover. She enjoys listening to alternative music, fashion, and the color yellow. Hannah is a supporter of G2 pens and loves meeting new people!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.