Wellness

Healthy Snacks to Fuel Your Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Finals week is challenging for everyone and sometimes we’re so busy studying, we forget to eat healthily. It’s important to fuel your studying with healthy foods. The healthier you eat, the easier it will be to focus and retain information. During midterms, I realized eating healthy made a huge difference. I felt more energized and so much less stressed. This can be difficult; healthy meals usually take time to prepare and  I was on a major time crunch. Here are a few of my favorite easy and healthy snacks.

Fruit and Vegetable Smoothies

Smoothies are a great way to sneak in a serving of fruit and vegetables. Some fruits and vegetables to add into your smoothies are blueberries, avocado, pineapple and leafy greens. Blueberries contain antioxidants that are anti-inflammatory, which will improve your skin and memory. Avocados contain good fats and will keep you feeling full longer. Pineapple is a metabolism booster, which will also help with energy levels. Leafy greens are known for containing folic acid and vitamin B which will help with focusing and mental clarity. This smoothie recipe is one of my favorites.  

Plain Greek Yogurt with Fruit and Flax

Studies have found that probiotics can help improve mental health by producing serotonin. To boost this snack, you can add fruits, nuts and flaxseeds to add brain-boosting antioxidants. Flaxseeds are full of nutrients, protein and fiber. Some of my favorite fruits to add are bananas, blueberries and strawberries.

Seasoned Almonds

Almonds are fantastic brain food. They are rich in vitamin E, which can help boost memory and B2 which will help the body maintain its energy supply. I’ve recently gotten into making different recipes. They can make a boring snack exciting. My two favorites are chili lime and roasted cinnamon. If you’re on a time crunch, seasoned almonds are also sold at the store. I prefer to make my own because I can control how much salt and sugar is in it.

Tea

Drinking tea without caffeine is a great way to destress after a long and stressful day of studying. Green tea is rich in antioxidants. Look for green tea with chamomile, peppermint and rose. This will help reduce stress and anxiety, making it the perfect addition to your nighttime routine.

Avocado Toast with an Egg

Avocado toast is a healthy and hearty snack. As mentioned before, avocados have healthy fats and will keep you feeling full. Eggs are packed with protein, which will help with memory. They also contain vitamins A, B2, B12 and B5. These vitamins will help maintain energy levels throughout the day. This is a great recipe which you could definitely prepare in a short amount of time!

If you’re in a pinch, almost all of these foods can be found pre-made, but I would encourage you to make them at home to ensure the healthiest meal possible. Your body needs healthy foods now more than ever. Study hard and good luck on finals!