Five Things You Might Have Thought Were Sustainable, but Actually Aren’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In our efforts to care for the planet, we sometimes take some missteps and actually do more harm than good. It took me a long time to realize the basics: like how microbeads in beauty products are made out of plastic, only 10% of a plastic bottle can be recycled and even that plastic was awful for the environment. I always thought that it was melted down and reused. Once I finally became more environmentally conscious, I was shocked that there are so many other unsustainable habits that I had. Here’s a list of some of them:

Silicone Straws

Silicone straws are better than single use plastic and have some health benefits The problem with silicone straws is that not every area has silicone recycling and there are better alternatives. The effects of silicone on the environment are debated but isn’t known to be very eco-friendly. Glass, paper, and metal straws last longer and often have better recycling options.

Reading Books on Your Phone or Ipad

You might think you’re saving trees and using less paper, but using electronics for a prolonged amount of time emits greenhouse gas emissions. The most sustainable way to read is by going to your local library, buying used books and passing them along to a friend or donating when you’re finished.

Essential Oils

I always thought essential oils were a healthier and more earth-friendly alternative to candles or other air fresheners. However, they aren’t a perfect solution. They require a large amount of energy to make and use lots of natural resources. The glass bottles they come in also can’t be recycled because essential oils are highly flammable. To read more about this issue, I recommend this article.

Glass Products

Glass products are only a better alternative to plastic if you recycle it. Glass that is thrown in the trash takes just as long as plastic does to break down. Recycling glass saves energy and is better for the environment because it can be reused over and over again (unlike plastic) but the problem is that many areas in the US don’t have places to recycle glass and many college campuses don’t make recycling available to their students.

Disposable Paper Dinnerware

Disposable paper dinnerware include paper towels, napkins, paper plates and paper cups. Paper towels and napkins take anywhere from two weeks to a month to break down. This might not seem like very long, however, when you think of how often people use paper towels and napkins on a daily basis, it accounts for a large amount of waste. It is also extremely economical to switch to reusable napkins. Paper plates and cups might seem more environmentally friendly but most brands line their products with wax or a thin plastic coating that makes them unrecyclable. They also take much longer to break down. Target and many grocery stores are starting to sell compostable paper plates without any coating, but the most sustainable option is using regular dishes and glasses.

Our efforts to save the environment should be applauded but we should all take a few minutes to do some research to make sure what we’re doing is actually helping. Don’t we owe it to our beautiful planet?