alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Betty Who: Your New Fave #GirlBoss Singer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

My healthy obsession with Betty Who hasn’t been life long. In fact, I discovered the queen less than three weeks ago. Betty is currently on tour with my favorite band ever, Panic! at the Disco (Hi Brendon Urie. I love you!). When I saw her open for them at the Sprint Center earlier this month, I was sold. Betty is not only an amazing singer and songwriter, but you can tell she is having the time of her life when she performs; there’s nowhere in the world she’d rather be than up on that stage. Everyone in the room feeds off of her contagious energy, and despite knowing zero words to any of her songs, I found myself jumping around and singing along. I decided that I shouldn’t keep this fun, empowering discovery a secret, so here it is. Five songs to listen to by my new queen, Betty Who.

1. “Somebody Loves You”

Album: Take Me When You Go, 2014

“Somebody misses you when you’re away/They wanna wake up with you every day.”

If you’ve wondered if you’ll ever find love, this upbeat song is your new anthem! The track reminds listeners that we all have someone out there who cares for us and wants the very best for us. Whenever I’m feeling a little down, alone or unloved, I turn this tune all the way up and belt out the lyrics as I personal reminder that I am appreciated and needed. We could all use a pick me up like this from time to time.

2. “I Remember”

Album: Betty, 2019

“I remember, nobody loves me like you do/I remember, I don’t want perfect, I want you.”

Perhaps my favorite Betty Who song at the moment, this song just makes me smile. It’s sweet and fun and catchy. This is one of those songs that makes me feel jittery and excited when I think about the prospect of finding the one. In the bridge, when Betty sings, “dancing under the stars/kissing you in the dark,” I can’t help but picture a cheesy rom-com scene, which makes the hopeless romantic in me scream.

3. “Language”

Album: Betty, 2019

“Don’t use your language, just use your mouth/and show me how you feel with your body.”

In this sexy jam, Betty isn’t trying to be subtle in the delivery of her message: less talking, more other stuff. As someone who doesn’t always see myself as a sexual being, I’m grateful for songs like these that remind me that women have the power to be whatever they want, even sensual. We love a woman who knows what she wants and knows how to get it!

4. “Wanna Be”

Album: The Valley, 2017

“She’s beautiful, and I just can’t compete/But I’d ride with you, die with you, I’d spend my life with you.”

Ahh, unrequited love. We’ve all been there. Whether it be a little crush or real love, feeling faster or stronger than someone else is no fun. Simply put, it sucks. Every singer needs a song about the pain of loving someone who can’t or won’t return your feelings. And this is Betty’s. It’s beautifully tragic, and I can’t get enough of it.

5. “I Love You Always Forever”

Album: The Valley, 2017

“Feels like I’m standing in a timeless dream Of light mist, of pale amber rose.”

The song that started it all. I fell in love with this one first. This is the only song that I vaguely recognized at the concert, and it’s what I played on an endless loop for a week following the concert. Like many of Betty’s songs, this one is just so sweet and positive that I can’t help but smile. The lyrics are breathtakingly beautiful, and the entire song is adorable and uplifting.  

So there you have it. A few recommendations to kickstart your Betty Who obsession. The songs listed above are some of my personal favorites, but all of her songs are worth the listen. Betty not only creates catchy songs with fun, meaningful lyrics, but she reminds us that we can be energetic and sexy and vulnerable and thoughtful all at the same time. We don’t have to choose one identity; we can have it all. Enjoy your new fave singer and try to channel Betty’s confidence, positivity and lust for life in your own life. Happy listening!

Anna is currently a senior at UMKC studying Health Sciences and Public Health, with a goal of working in the nonprofit world. Anna's passion is advocating for people living with chronic illnesses through her work with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. In her free time, Anna can be found obsessing over Panic! at the Disco and Queen while drinking coffee and watching romantic comedies or listening to podcasts.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.