This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

We all know that becoming your higher self is the end goal, but how in the world are we supposed to get there? On one end of the spectrum, there are people telling us to be quiet, and on the other, we are being told to “boss up.” How can we be expected to know how to become our higher selves if nobody will ever explain the process?

Fully accept the fact that you are you and no one else.

We spend so much time looking at other women wondering why we can’t look a certain way. You are given one body. Do the most you can with it and aim to feel good in your skin. Stop aiming to look like someone else.

Ask yourself if you are happy on your own terms or if you are happy solely because of the people around you.

If you are genuinely happy on your own terms, then you’ve already completed this step. If you realize the majority of your happiness comes from other people, ask yourself why. The people around you may seem like forever, but the only person you can fully rely on is yourself. You have to find peace and happiness within yourself before you can find true peace and happiness within other people.

Get to know yourself.

You are the only person who really knows what you’re feeling. Take time out of the day to check on yourself as you check on other people. Are your needs being met? In what ways can you better yourself right now? How can the people around you help you meet your needs? Take a deep breath and reflect on your emotions. Tend to yourself and treat yourself kindly.

Live your life. For you.

As I said before, you are given one body and one life, and if you can’t make the promise to make decisions for yourself then you are wasting precious time and energy. Understand that this is your life, no one else’s, and do things that make you happy despite how it affects the people around you.

Allow yourself the space to grow and change.

Give yourself what you need. Be gentle with yourself and try to be understanding. We make excuses and give breaks to everyone but ourselves, and we need to have self-compassion for once. It is worth your time and energy to grow and change, you just need to allow yourself the space to do so.

I am not a mental health guru, I don’t fully understand the human brain and I surely don’t know everything about this, but I’m trying. I practice these things daily because I struggle with my mental health. Over the time that I have been fully committed to living like this, I have noticed a serious shift in my attitude and overall well-being. “Finding your higher self” isn’t a crazy ideology, it really boils down to being your true self and carrying yourself with intention.

Hello! I'm currently studying at UMKC and double majoring in English and Communication Studies with an emphasis in Journalism. I have always been a writer, a creator, and a storyteller and I am so excited to get to share that with Her Campus UMKC!