jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Self-awareness can be a tough topic solely because a lot of us think that it is interchangeable with having it all together. We all know that literally *no one* has it all together in college but being self-aware is the difference between someone who can be one step closer to that concept and someone who has no idea. Self-awareness is simply stemming your thoughts, feelings and actions back to the original source of the issue at hand. It’s asking yourself, “why do I repeatedly I react this way?” and coming to a conclusion. Self-awareness is being mindful of projection, gaslighting and all those other nasty habits we’ve picked up on to protect our ego.

Step One: Keep Track

I have this beautiful folder in my notes app where I type anything that comes to mind wherever I happen to be at that particular moment. As I’m waiting on my next class, sitting in the grocery store parking lot or taking an acv bath, I simply empty my brain into text form. I also use the app to acknowledge my dreams before I forget them. I roll over in my bed with my hair bonnet on, morning breath on deck and type until I interpret my dream to its entirety. My logbook that rests against my window sill holds the same purpose, but I tend to use it when I have an allotted slot of my day solely for journaling. Regardless of how I do it, I always need an outlet to get my thoughts out. I find myself alone a lot these days so when talk therapy isn’t an option, writing is. This has allowed me to truly look at my emotions and reflect back on my feelings, situations and circumstances.

Step Two: Ask For Help

Sounds like a paradox, right? You are still considered self-aware if you occasionally receive assistance when it comes to breaking down your own habits and thought processing. For some, this means asking friends if they see repeating patterns in your behavior or even asking how you could be a better roommate. Others may seek therapy or counseling so that they can be provided with “mental homework” after a session with a professional. Whatever you choose, know that you are one step closer towards figuring out who you are.

Step Three: Don’t Come Down Too Hard On Yourself

In a world of perfectly curated images and high expectations aiming towards perfection in all aspects, it can be extremely hard to not judge your flaws or where you fall short. My mind often runs a mile a minute, so it’s often when I find myself saying words wrong or even saying sentences backwards. My friends will usually nicely correct me and I’ll say it again correctly but afterwards, you can find me internally battling with myself. Because I have been working on my own self-awareness, I can now break down why I easily get flustered when my friends try to help me out instead of questioning my own intelligence over something as silly as saying a word wrong. My own self-awareness looks like calling out my sensitivity towards constructive criticism, stemming it back to my own ego, and realizing that it is an insecurity of mine. Self-awareness looks different for everyone.

Let go of your precious ego and break down everything that makes you, YOU. By doing so, you are setting yourself up for a future of confidence and resilience, because no one will know you like yourself. Reflect constantly and your own personal goals and growth will flow incessantly.

Kayla is currently a sophomore studying Psychology with a minor in Communications at University of Missouri-Kansas City. When she’s not struggling to make a decision (#libraprobs), she enjoys basking her melanin in the sun, lighting incense, and aimlessly scrolling through Twitter.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.